Stress - don’t seem to cope with it anymore?

Started by mojo, October 24, 2018, 07:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo

Is this normal?

I'm waiting for treatment and am doing all sorts of things to help myself, but the one thing that seems to out run me every time is general stress. I just don't seem to be able to cope with it anymore.

Rainagain

Bless you,

I'd say its normal for this site  :wave:

Its the amygdala, stress response revving like crazy, if you are in a parked car and raise the revs to the red line then that frightening sound is what our  amygdalas would sound like. All the time.

Anything that adds more revs is very bad news indeed, beyond manufacturer design specification, not going to go well at all.

There is a great lecture on utube by robert palowski of Stanford U, its on depression but explains the brain structure and biochemistry really nicely. Three roses found the actual link but it can be searched for too.

Boy22

Hey mojo,

I used to be very high performing but now just to cope with an undemanding day I need regular rests in a quiet dark room.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi mojo
Yes that's me too ...i don't nec see it as a bad thing just an indicator that i need to have self care high and stressors low

Kizzie

:yeahthat: 

One thing I wondered when I read your post is what kind of stress you're finding it difficult to cope with?  When I finally realized the stress my family of origin was placing on me (NPD and alcoholism), I had to go low/no contact because it was way too much.  I should not have tried to cope all those years but I didn't know what I was dealing with - no-one can cope or deal with trauma easily.

Is your stress the daily living kind or is it of the toxic, overwhelming variety? My point being that in addition to not having the reserves that people who are not trauma survivors have to deal with daily stresses, we also have actual over the top type of stress in our lives that no-one should try and cope with.  In either case we need to be compassionate and cut ourselves some slack imo.