Lack of Govt Action & Trauma Treatment, Services & Support

• 6 Replies

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Lack of Govt Action & Trauma Treatment, Services & Support
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:51:53 AM »
Our new blog article by author, advocate & CSA survivor Matt Carey discusses a lack of government response to CSA and trauma treatment & services in the UK.

If you've experienced similar problems such as inaction on the part of your govt, long waiting times for publicly funded treatment & services, expensive private treatment costs, lack of support (e.g., medical, community, legal, educational, housing, familial) in the UK or in another country please consider adding a comment to the blog. (You can do so anonymously by using a pseudonym.)

Many of us were taught directly or indirectly that remaining silent would keep us safe and it did, but now as adults it's okay to advocate for ourselves and for all those growing up right now in traumatic situations who will need treatment, support and services.  :grouphug:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:25:33 PM by Kizzie »

Eyessoblue

• View Profile
Re: Lack of Govt Action & Trauma Treatment, Services & Support
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 10:27:27 AM »
Kizzie, thank you so much for this. Reading it just brought tears to my eyes but Iím so pleased that here in the uk people are taking note of this and clearly something major needs to be done with the nhs and child abuse. The nhs is a fantastic free service which has helped me no end, but lack of staff, education, funding etc means the service is literally floored it just hadnít got the right approach to help with mental health. I know I go on about it quite a lot but itís the most frustrating thing to be part of when youíre needing the help and it just canít be accessed due to the above. Letís hope this gets more recognised now.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
Thanks for your comment ESB  :thumbup:  I'm in Canada and although we have a good health system, like yours there is a lack of funding, awareness, etc., on how to provide what trauma survivors need. I did get publicly funded help when I fell apart 4 years ago but it was short term and not trauma informed. I am fortunate enough that I do have extended health coverage and can afford some private treatment but at $160-200/hour, the funds available are used up fairly quickly. 

From what I've read over the four years OOTS has been going more treatment. services and support are needed everywhere which is one reason I wrote "The Iceberg is Tipping" for the blog and then invited Matt to write about issues in the UK (see The Last First).  No pressure (honestly), but if you have a moment perhaps you could add a comment to Matt's article.  I think he would enjoy hearing from a fellow UK trauma survivor.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:47:18 PM by Kizzie »

Eyessoblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
Yes kizzie, thanks for that, Iíll do that!  My aim in life now is to make the uk government more aware of trauma and child abuse, lack of funding for uk mental health etc ..... I have NO idea how Iíll do that but I want to scream it from the roof tops until Iím heard haha.x

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 03:34:04 PM »
Tks for your post on the blog  :)  It can be difficult to speak up I know. It still triggers me sometimes but I feel if we don't tell others what we need/want, then nothing will happen.  :Idunno: 

I've taken it (i.e., speaking up) slowly, a bit at a time and I've backed off when I felt myself starting to trigger too much.  Just my experience FWIW, but like many things we have to learn/relearn as trauma survivors, it can take some time.   

OK so that was my note of caution lol, now go get them!  :cheer:   

Boy22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2018, 05:49:13 AM »
Just to add a positive note, thanks to NZs ACC scheme people who have experienced CSA are funded for potentially extended periods of funded counseling along with upfront lump sum payments. Whilst no healthcare system is perfect it is always good to know where systems are better in order to goad your politicians to act.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 02:30:55 AM »
Well now that is good to hear Boy, tks for posting some positive news that CSA survivors in other countries can hold up as an example  :thumbup: