Scared not to work

Started by Boatsetsailrose, November 03, 2018, 09:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Hi all
I've had a long journey to get to where i am right now and it feels far from over..
I left the nursing profession 3 wks ago and of itself that is fine i made the right decision and don't have regrets.
I have been going for interviews in the health service for junior admin /reception work but reached a point last WK where i broke down and realized i can't work full time and don't even know if ill cope.
Im now going down the ill health /benefits route (my nursing contract was ended on health grounds due to my mental health ).
Thing is now I'm scared as it seems the welfare system may not provide enough money to get by on (but i don't know this is totally true as there is another benefit that is hard to get but it is poss ..i will get assessed in about 4 wks and then the decision to put me in a support group with work related activity.there will be no pressure to work but there will be support with finding work if i feel ready ( however 63% of any earnings will  mean the benefits get reduced by this amount.
Money is going to be real tight but i don't see another way right now and at least ill have support both financially and with support back into work. My hope is that something good can come from all of this ..a new field i haven't thought of ...work that is enjoyable and for filling not just draining and difficult ..
Any experience and thoughts I'd be most grateful
Boats

Three Roses

You're in my thoughts  :hug: no insight to give, just my virtual support!  :)

Deep Blue

Hey Boats,
What's that saying? When a door closes a window opens? Hopefully as you work through the transition some new idea will present itself.

Is there something in the virtual world? I dunno just wondering.  Take good care boats

Kizzie

Boats when you think about what would make you want to get up in the morning and want to go to work, does anything pop into mind? Do you have any interests or hobbies or things you've always wanted to try that you could turn into a job you like or love?  Is there anything related to your nursing, an offshoot that you could tap into some of that training perhaps? Or do you want to move as far away from nursing as possible?

If you start to chat about it here, just let your mind/heart wander and you never know something might pop up  :Idunno: 

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you deep blue and three roses :)

Boatsetsailrose

Hi kizzie
Thank you for your reply and insights.
I have done a lot of explanation with my nursing union around alternative job roles.as i was a psych nurse (oh the irony ) its unlike general nursing where i could go into many fields and i just havr no drive at all to support people so that's good to know. At first i wanted to get something in the arts / tourism/ charity sector and did get an interview as a visitor assistant as a museum but didn't do too well at interview. I thought there would be more 'fun' jobs out there but they seem lacking. However its good to share here as you say because these are areas i could explode again. I then went down the receptionist \ junior admin role deciding i couldn't stick a corporate environment but would look for healthcare / alternative environments. Ive had 4 interviews and they have been pretty grouling (nhs our healthcare system here in the UK ). I did get offered one job but the funding got pulled and so that was that. My crash last week was a realization that i don't think i can work full time ( public transport early mornings full time  and working 5 days straight ...also in x2  12 step recovery programs which requires time and actions.
If i dig into my heart today id like to do something side stepped from main stream society like gardening or manual work something with some people but not intense .. Im a creative and kind person with good people skills..
part time work at this stage feels far better ...but with me applying for health benefits I'll need to wait before looking about again ...
Grateful i have some money and lots of support income oots
Thanks kizzy

Deep Blue

What is your creative area?

One of my students is very artistic and she works at a cookie place icing cookies! Sounds yummy and fun to me.

If you like gardening, are there any part time jobs available at a gardening store?

Substitute teacher? School nurse? Those deal with people. 

My friend writes for a site called Groupon.  She gets money for each advertisement she writes. Some are travel discounts.

Feel free to tell me to be quiet and I'll  :disappear:

I like the idea of side stepping from main stream though.  Good luck

Kizzie

QuoteIf i dig into my heart today id like to do something side stepped from main stream society like gardening or manual work something with some people but not intense .. Im a creative and kind person with good people skills.

Just wanted to share a little story with you.  My H has a friend who he served with for a 'few' decades and when this fellow retired from the Army (as a Colonel so lots of stress and responsibility throughout) he got a part-time job in a greenhouse and absolutely LOVES it!  Hands in the soil, watching plants grow and nurturing them, outside in the fresh air, dealing with some but not too many people - tonic for his tired out soul it seems.  ;D   

I hope you can find something like this for yourself Boats, keep on digging into your heart  :yes:

Boatsetsailrose

Hi deep blue thank u for your suggestions ...yes i have thought of a garden centre..i have also looked for creative jobs however menial but havent seen anything ...i paint using acrylic

Boatsetsailrose

Lovely story to hear thank u kizzy

Rainagain

Horticultural therapy?

There are also organisations that operate farms working with various vulnerable groups.

Part time working or voluntary might be options?

In the uk the wildlife trusts have volunteer teams, they train you up so you can put in fencing, coppicing, habitat survey,  all sorts.

Boatsetsailrose

Thanks rain again yes that feels right up my garden path :)