Holiday Hiatus

Started by BeHea1thy, November 12, 2018, 12:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeHea1thy

Friends,

It's not often that I meet the goals I set. During the last year, I've worked really hard at learning to hear with electronics in my head, all the accessories, how to deal with glitches, reprogramming, etc. In addition, I promised myself that this winter I would not morph into a depressed couch potato and hunker down in isolation for 6-7 months. To that effect, I started a walking program in May, and along with my first ever smart phone, am now emotionally invested in my LG Fitness app.

I am taking a physical education course at a community college, and am in way above my head with 20 year olds, as well as an instructor who makes a living my training others. My hope was to ignite a spark of interest which would keep me motivated to be and stay active. It happened! I joined a fitness club and have gone more in the last 10 days that in the past 3-5 years combined! I'm now reading about muscles, function, names and the ways we need to treat our aging bodies so that atrophy and immobilization doesn't set in.

After many efforts in multiple areas to volunteer, I've found a home with a non-profit legal assistance program. I work part time with their Fair Housing Project and it gets time consuming and complex. I'm happy!

For these reasons, I need to take a break so that I can assess and "re-balance" my life. Kind of like what all those financial planners tell you to do once a year. I'm feeling like I can't keep up on the forum in the way I'd like to. So, going into the holiday season, Thanksgiving and Christmas, all fraught with anniversaries and memories, I'm stepping back.

Hugs to all and stay on course with healing, recovery and joy.

Jdog

Wonderful news, BeHea1thy!  Balance is so important, and I am so happy you have met
and even exceeded so many goals and are now happily volunteering as well.  Kudos!!  I will miss you on the forum, but am so glad for your forward momentum.

:cheer: :applause:

woodsgnome

Keep on keeping on, BeHea1thy! Thanks for sharing your trials and successes so far. Best wishes for a wonderful holiday sojourn.  :)

Hope67

Hi BeHea1thy,  I am really happy to hear all your positives here - and I would like to wish you all the best through Winter and Christmas and beyond, and whilst I will miss you - I am also very glad to hear you're out there living life and doing things you enjoy - much love to you and big hug  :hug:
Hope  :)

Kizzie

Lovely to hear BeHealthy, so glad you are doing well.  Here's to being healthy, strong and happy!  :cheer:

Enjoy yourself  :hug:

Boy22

BeHea1thy,

enjoy your well deserved break.

:grouphug:

woodsgnome

:heythere:

Welcome back, fellow bibliohound...good deal on the ILLiad loan program. May your reading treks spark intrigue, wonder, delight, and who knows what else.

Jdog

Welcome back, BeHea1thy!!  So glad to read your writing once more!!  Your "winterval" appears to have done you good, and I am pleased you have a new means of accessing books.

Three Roses

Hope67

Hi BeHea1thy - Welcome back - I missed you!  Really happy that you have access to more books, as I know how much you love them. 
Hope  :)

Kizzie

So glad to hear you are back refreshed and with renewed energy BeHealthy  :applause:

(PS - I love the term "winterval", perfect descriptor for taking a break during the XMas holiday season  :thumbup:)

Jdog

:). BTW I co-opted the winterval term...was listening to an NPR report about something to do with Birmingham, England.  They apparently have a winter festival bearing that title.  But since we are not publishing these little chats, no harm, right?

Sorry to derail. 

Kizzie

I was thinking about terms like "winterval" and "winterfest" and to my mind they are perfect for us. It's like changing your last name to distance yourself all the negative emotions associated with your family name and creating a new path.  Or like Pete Walker's "emotional flashbacks" which really does capture what we experience so well. 

I'm sure no-one is going to be too upset if we co-opt them and I like the idea of coming up with other terms  :thumbup: 

Jdog

I like that idea, too, Kizzie.  Let's keep on that path.  BH - you are a terrific wordsmith and I eagerly await a panoply of original or co-opted terms which fit a variety of occasions.  I will contribute as well.

woodsgnome

:thumbup: to Wordzest!!!  :applause:

Little word games can bring new perspective, allowing people who've survived traumas to start reclaiming their own space in a world that didn't make sense to them. It sometimes takes a radical twist like this to finally find a means to feel at home in our own being.

It's literally like finding a new life, and language tweaks can be part of the fun. Sometimes, though, this is confusing to others; as when I prefer the term re-framing to the common term recovery (what am I recovering if my whole previous life felt like a disaster?) .

One author I'm fond of explained it like this -- that we can view life as a painting, but at some point an old painting might need refurbishing. Or, the entire canvas can stay in place while a new picture (or alteration) is created on the same canvas. Eventually, the whole space can be re-framed. Hardly a 'new' word, but one that sets up a different viewpoint.

Wordzest = fresh ways of creating whole can new worlds.