Return to Pre-trauma Industry

• 7 Replies

Contessa

• View Profile
Return to Pre-trauma Industry
« on: November 15, 2018, 12:36:49 AM »
The beginning of my life with serious trauma coincided with the change of my professional industry. Looking back, just about all people involved with the trauma (family, friends, colleagues...) are connected with that industry in some shape or form, small and large.

This year I returned to work in the industry that I was employed in before the traumas. Not just the industry, but the same old workplaces and colleagues as well as new. Over the last several weeks, one colleague has mentioned several times that I am always cool, calm and in control whenever crisis hits. She pointed out that on the surface I do not flinch, so I thought about it and realised that there is no flinching below the surface either. Then I thought, "Hang on!? I'm the one with cptsd!" (nobody knows I have it there, it is not in any way necessary to disclose... yet)

Completely the opposite to the last six years. It's like I took a knife, and sliced everything and everyone to do with that time out. I feel no stress in what really is quite a stressful industry, and I do not think about anything or anyone in the other.

That's a weird observation I noticed in the last week. Does anybody relate? Or have any thoughts about this? I'm still just dumbfounded at how pervasively toxic the other industry was/is, and how 'normal' it must seem to those in it.

Boy22

• View Profile
Re: Return to Pre-trauma Industry
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:42 AM »
Well done Contessa.

I am hopeful that I will one day be able to achieve what you have done. :applause:

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 04:22:10 AM »
A remarkable accomplishment in my opinion! You certainly worked hard to overcome, and you succeeded. Proof that it's possible.  :applause:

Contessa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »
Thabks Boy 22 and Three Roses. I do hope this way forward can be maintained in the long term.

And if this is proof, then it must be repeatable. My hope is that everyone can achieve this.

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:52:17 PM »
This is amazing,
Its like you have remade yourself through strength of will.

Much respect.

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:28:57 PM »
 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Contessa!  That's really great. I can't relate unfortunately. There's not a pre-trauma state for me to return to. I am really happy for you though! :yes: :party: :yourock: :fireworks:

Contessa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 12:07:36 AM »
Thanks RA and BB.

I guess I have been able to totally immerse myself into a world that is completely separate to the other. The other world I feel completely unwelcome in. This one has no bullies and no family in it. Thinking about that side does upset me, but I have a whole new world that does not.

I hope other people can be here too :)

LilyITV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »
Awesome progress and gives me hope!!   :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:  I sure hope I can relate one day!