Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP)

Started by Kizzie, December 09, 2018, 06:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

Interesting article about Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (ISTDP), a newer psychological approach that deals with unconscious negative emotions  linked to an emotional trauma suffered years or decades earlier – which have manifested as a physical symptom - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/article-their-pain-is-real-and-for-patients-with-mystery-illnesses-help-is/?utm_medium=Referrer:+Social+Network+/+Media&utm_campaign=Shared+Web+Article+Links.

Sounds something like Somatic Experiencing at least in its objective which is to release/complete trapped trauma responses although SE takes a lower, more titrated approach. ISTDP looks to be quite intense which is a criticism of it, but it also seems to work so you have to weigh the two.

Blueberry

Wow! My first reaction is like  :fireworks: only to read towards the end that it's not for everybody. Reading btl probably not for me. However it obviously works for some people.

Take note, Brits and Canadians, there are practitioners in your countries! Especially for the Brits with all those long waits courtesy of the NHS, could be a viable alternative and even if you have to pay privately a good investment. Get back on your feet and back to work faster than people like me.

Kizzie

I'm a bit hesitant personally as there are criticisms that it's too intense & could be emotionally damaging.  I just did EMDR which is fairly benign in the scheme of things and had a four week anxiety reaction so not sure I'm the best candidate.  I'm good with Somatic Experience because it does go slower and I'm good with that.  (I've only done the one session so far so don't know how it will go.  I was supposed to go on Fri but was sick so cancelled and go next in Jan.)  I think though that back when I fell apart I would have done anything to lift out of the psychological and physical pain I was in even if it meant additional short-term pain.

I am very interested in MDMA psychotherapy as it is much shorter term too and taps into your nurturing/guardian side apparently so you can deal with your trauma. That sounds good to me although it is a bit scary.