Has anyone changed their name?

Started by Ellis, November 27, 2018, 08:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellis

A pretty generic thread, just asking if anyone has changed their birth name and what it was like for them.
Do you have any tips? Things to look out for? What might be a good time to do it? Do you have any regrets?

I've been thinking of changing my name for a while now and I believe it's my 'next big step' to complete recovery.
My birth name has certain meanings and connotations to it, that were then used against me by my FOO to insult me and berate me.
Every time I think of my new planned name, I feel giddy inside. But I want to make sure I do this right.

Any comment is appreciated. Thank you.

milk

Do it!! Go for it!!  :cheer:
That's what i felt - giddiness when I did it. It was a relief.

m

Three Roses

I have known people who changed their names, and it was helpful to them. I like the idea! Go for it.

Blackbird33

I did a name change last year to rid myself of a middle name that is a trigger for me -named after someone from my FOO  . Best thing I've ever done:)

Contessa

One of my best friends changed theirs, and as the others have said, it was a huge step in the right direction for them :)

woodsgnome

I flipped my birth name, although there's a part I didn't follow through on that I regret. On the whole changing my name was significant in  my steps away from FOO and the whole environment around them (church/school).

My new name derived from an improv acting gig I fell into, then developed into a stage show (not bad for someone mortified by any social contacts; although it didn't erase my social isolation). It became very much an educational role play one-person show, but long story short I became better known by the acting name and most everyone knew/knows me by that name.

My regret was not doing an official 100% changeover, so certain documents (now too hard to totally change; banking, government, etc.) are still rendered using the original name, which I thought funny for a long time but now regret not entirely washing out the birth name.

Either way, the name change alone didn't erase the sad results of spending my youth in a living *. Yet even the almost total changeover still feels like an important step in releasing a lingering reminder of the hurtful past.   

Rainagain

I've been thinking of doing this, I'm amazed so many have done it or considered it too.

I'm also thinking of moving to another country as part of the process.

Complete renewal. Or reinvention. Or something.

I've also thought life in a van appeals, just keep moving, not sure why that appeals so much, its not freedom exactly, its total off the grid anonymity or something.

Ellis

Quote from: milk on November 27, 2018, 01:16:51 PM
Do it!! Go for it!!  :cheer:
That's what i felt - giddiness when I did it. It was a relief.

m
That's really exciting! Thanks for the reply.

Quote from: Three Roses on November 27, 2018, 03:19:46 PM
I have known people who changed their names, and it was helpful to them. I like the idea! Go for it.
Really comforting to hear. Thank you!

Quote from: Blackbird33 on November 27, 2018, 05:24:58 PM
I did a name change last year to rid myself of a middle name that is a trigger for me -named after someone from my FOO  . Best thing I've ever done:)
I'm glad it's helped you! Thanks for the input.

Quote from: Contessa on November 27, 2018, 07:29:05 PM
One of my best friends changed theirs, and as the others have said, it was a huge step in the right direction for them :)
Very reassuring, Contessa. Thank you!

Quote from: woodsgnome on November 27, 2018, 07:58:22 PM
I flipped my birth name, although there's a part I didn't follow through on that I regret. On the whole changing my name was significant in  my steps away from FOO and the whole environment around them (church/school).

My new name derived from an improv acting gig I fell into, then developed into a stage show (not bad for someone mortified by any social contacts; although it didn't erase my social isolation). It became very much an educational role play one-person show, but long story short I became better known by the acting name and most everyone knew/knows me by that name.

My regret was not doing an official 100% changeover, so certain documents (now too hard to totally change; banking, government, etc.) are still rendered using the original name, which I thought funny for a long time but now regret not entirely washing out the birth name.

Either way, the name change alone didn't erase the sad results of spending my youth in a living *. Yet even the almost total changeover still feels like an important step in releasing a lingering reminder of the hurtful past.   
Thanks for the in depth response, it's insightful. I'll make sure I get my documents edited, I've already compiled a list of things that do need to be changed.

Quote from: Rainagain on November 29, 2018, 01:24:37 AM
I've been thinking of doing this, I'm amazed so many have done it or considered it too.

I'm also thinking of moving to another country as part of the process.

Complete renewal. Or reinvention. Or something.

I've also thought life in a van appeals, just keep moving, not sure why that appeals so much, its not freedom exactly, its total off the grid anonymity or something.

That sounds really nice, Rainagain. A fresh start always feels wonderful.
All this makes me think what the percentage of CPTSD victims have changed their name...

Thanks again for all these replies. It's really helpful and has motivated me to continue my research into it all.
And one of the most convenient things about all this is that it's going to be super easy to get the interview for it done because... I work in the same building as the department that does the interviews.  ;D Talk about luck!

LylaMoshi

I have!

I changed my middle and last names, as all of them related to family members I no longer wanted to be associated with. I took my paternal grandmother's maiden name, and her first name as my middle. She was very kind to me when I was growing up, and when she died in April I knew it was the right thing to do to remember her. I actually found that it prompted a lot of my extended family to reach out to me regarding my childhood, which was both validating and upsetting (why only support me now??!), but untimately I'm very happy I changed my name.

It was quite an impulse thing for me as I had never considered it 'acceptable' to estrange myself so formally, but once I'd decided to do it I finished everything in a couple of days. I used this website https://freedeedpoll.org.uk/ which generates a deed poll for you, and got my partner and a work colleague to sign it. That's all I needed to do, which was a relief. I'm still working through changing all my documents but I was very happy when I got my new driving license  :cheer:

You may find this page https://freedeedpoll.org.uk/what_next helpful in working out what organisations you should contact about your new name  :) Best of luck!