Blood pressure

Started by Gromit, November 27, 2018, 06:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gromit

My blood pressure, whenever it is recorded is 'lovely', it seems to excite health professionals as it is so healthy.

My H says that's because I am never stressed.

Yeah, right, then what am I on this site for?

What are other people's experiences? I am pretty sure I am just used to a higher level of stress, anxiety, etc than 'normal' people.

Perhaps I need some kind of monitor to keep track of what happens to my BP when I am stressed, anxious, in a flashback, to tell me what is really going on.

G

Ellis

Hey Gromit,

That sounds quite frustrating to say the least.  I haven't had too much experience with health monitoring so I can't say too much.
But if I were in your shoes I'd be pretty annoyed. I think any self monitoring is a good idea though so I'm not going to say you shouldn't. If you feel like it'd be beneficial then go ahead!

Regards,
Ellis.

Hope67

Hi Gromit,
I relate to what you're saying - very much so.  I have blood pressure that is normally very 'good' - i.e. described as 'healthy' - but I had a shock when I went to see a nurse the other week - and was in a state of anxiety about it, and she took my blood pressure then, and it was very high.  I have also had that happen when I've been having a night terror at night - and I know about it as I have a monitor on my heart rate that I wear at night - just one of those tracker watches - but it sent my pulse rocketing whilst I was having a night terror.
Anyway, I wanted to say that I do relate to what you're saying. 
Take care Gromit.
Hope  :)

Gromit

I think my H just has the idea I have an easy life as I don't go out to a 9-5 job. Truth is I teach yoga so it makes sense for me to be fit and healthy with BP to match. I never knew what it was until my MIL checked my sons as he had been feeling faint and I asked her to check mine. Mine is lower than my sons.

Looking into it, anxiety can cause spikes but does not lead to hypertension. My theory about people effected by trauma having a higher tolerance to stress probably cannot be proved unless we all monitor ourselves constantly.

Rainagain

I've always had low blood pressure and the resting pulse rate of an athlete.

But I'm overweight and smoke...

I'd like to know my cortisol levels, that's the stress hormone I believe, possibly a better measure than blood pressure.

I think blood pressure might be mostly genetic, but who knows, maybe vulnerability to stress is too.

Gromit

Quote from: Rainagain on November 27, 2018, 11:08:12 PM
I've always had low blood pressure and the resting pulse rate of an athlete.

But I'm overweight and smoke...

I'd like to know my cortisol levels, that's the stress hormone I believe, possibly a better measure than blood pressure.

Yes, that, cortisol, I would like to know mine too.

I don't know if my BP is inheredited, my mother definitely had high BP, and some kind of wrist monitor along with beta blockers but that was after her Angina attack. She had done yoga too. My father, always seemed healthy though, apart from IBS type symptoms, but I put that down to living with my mother!

Rainagain

I remember after being on meds for stress for a while the doctors called me in for a heart monitoring session, they seemed almost surprised it was all normal.

People are all so different, there are lots of risk factors but they aren't direct like a light switch and a light bulb.

Measuring the stress directly using cortisol levels would be more useful than seeing if the stress is causing problems elsewhere, but I'm grateful they checked my cardio vascular system.

Anyway, I know when I'm very stressed and when I'm more settled, for me its about trying to avoid peak stress, not always successful as life doesn't work like that.

The cortisol test is saliva samples done through the day, but its only useful as a baseline to see what happens over time to those levels, I don't think there is a direct treatment for stress, just things that can help you live more easily, life changes like being safe.