No group therapy for what I have

Started by Axiom, December 01, 2018, 06:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axiom

For the isolation doctors frequently recommend that I get involved in group therapy. My answer is always the same, "If you can find a group that fits my diagnosis and history, I'll go." And they mostly blink because it's uncouth to say, "I don't have any patients like you," but they also know I'm not wrong.

It's not cause I'm the only one, although it often feels that way. It's because most people subjected to the life I lived either don't survive it or don't escape it. And since I'm on the site I'm on, I'm gonna guess many of you reading this can relate to that.

I don't want to go into it really. But I'm glad this site exists. Whatever else the conversations here might contribute to my recovery, simply being able to move the concept of "I'm NOT the only one," out of the realm of theory and into the realm of what is tangible and observable is profoundly encouraging to me. Thank you all for being here.

Three Roses

Thank you for being here, too! It's nice to meet you.
:heythere:

The feeling you get when you discover there are others who've gone thru what you have, and who "get" it. People who don't give you the blank stare or blink in confusion when you try to explain. Such a nice feeling to know there's finally a group I can fit into.

Glad you found us.

Boatsetsailrose

So grateful for this forum and the people who keep it running. To  us all for our courage to be here and both share and support each other ..
Not.feeling alone with this disorder is a life saver

SJH

Hi there!

I have also recently joined the site. I felt for many years that there was no help, cure, or that talking about what happened would just "open up old wounds".

Finding this site has helped me to see that that talking about it does help and there are lots of us that have the same symptoms or been through the same things.

I am 3 days away from my first dose of professional help, but couldn't have done it without this site.

Good to have you on board and hope in time you can share more.

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS Axiom  :heythere:   Unfortunately you're correct that there are not many face-to-face groups for Complex PTSD, but there are groups for specific types of abuse you might want to look into. 

I don't know if you're up to this, but I wanted to mention that one of our members took things into her own hands and started a group herself.  She wrote a blog article about it if you're interested.

You're most definitely not the only one so I hope you will keep reading and maybe even post a bit.   

Boatsetsailrose

How wonderful to hear of the support group that has been set up ..
This pioneering spirit gives such hope for how things are developing for the future