Mental health team assessment

Started by Boatsetsailrose, December 01, 2018, 10:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boatsetsailrose

Hi
So I'm.back to being referred to the community mental health team (had assessment last yr but wasnt taken on.
I know with these asssessments its based on 'risk' and if the risk is deemed high/ serious enough. I've been having a bad time of it ..let career go, not able to work in any capacity right now, trauma symptoms and v difficult psychological states.
Thing is when i go for the assessment i may not be 'in it as much but then i know the triggers and flashbacks will return. Also i struggle with putting  my experience s into words or if i do i can make it sound more professional with the jargon. This time i want to just keep it more about my personal experience rather than trying to frame it how i think it sounds best or trying so hard  to articulate in what i think are the best ways .
I need them to take me on this time it feels like my last hope (though i know this isn't necessary true .
It is my chance to get longer term help ..
Any experience or suggestions greatly received

Rainagain

I really hope you get taken up by the team.

Would keeping a diary of mood and symptoms help your chances?

Not a situation I've been in so don't know.

milk

Boatsetsailrose, you have the right idea.

Showing up to therapy ‘raw’ takes trust in the professionals you are with and in knowing what healthy professional care feels like. I was seeing someone for about a year for counseling — it wasn’t till I showed up ‘raw’ that the therapy began happening. It didn’t  feel good at all —- i had to let go of all my constructs — I was fighting for my life at this point, and I had to say this to myself to get it. Something that helped me through this was emailing my therapist regularly, so she could see my writing ‘raw’ and stabilized. Take care, my thoughts are with you for something real.

Three Roses

I agree with what's been said - showing your true experience without any of the sugar coating we usually do is helpful to your clinicians, so they can accurately assess your needs.

I'm thinking a hand written journal or maybe even a video journal may help. Good luck, I'm sending you my support! 👍👍👍

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you all
I have started writing down my episodes and am going to put them together to take with me .
Thank u for your help

SJH

Hi, you have replied to my first post and very grateful :hug:
I am also in the uk and been referred to the community mental health team and still waiting for any kind of help 5 months later  :doh:
But have just started private therapy, and I'm struggling with the same thing; how to articulate my trauma. After 20 years of trying not to talk about it isn't just going to come out...
Personally I found it really helpful to write everything down beforehand and have reference points to go back to, or a few points I want to speak about and just concentrate on those, it's too much otherwise. And don't try and put it into their language, just tell your story, it's their job to interpret it and help.

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you sjh ...i just have more idea about what remits are and how to get into services and this balanced with being honest can be a tricky area as i often don't quite hit the high enough risk category eg risk behaviour