The Potting Shed (Part 1)

Started by SunBear, May 24, 2017, 10:08:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry

We had a couple of really warm sunny days (15°C) last week but it's back down to 5° if you're lucky, even minus at night and we had snow overnight a day or two ago. Most of the snow is gone now though. The buds are still on the trees and bushes (not frozen). I'm out picking ground elder every day now for my salad. Soon I can start on stinging nettles, though not for salad ;)

There are more flowers blooming - little tiny wild violets and primroses, even a few daffodils. Especially in times such as these, I'm really really glad to have easy access to a garden.

I'm waiting for friends to bring me earth for seedlings so I can get some plants going in the kitchen. It's still too early to put any plants in the garden. It can be warm here in spring but then suddenly the temperature drops again.

I've seen the robin again, just from my window. Not when I'm actually down in the garden.

Blueberry

I'm now harvesting dandelions for my salad too. Today I collected some raspberry plants and a bramble from a friend who had removed a few in her garden. Mine don't seem to have survived being moved last fall, when I had to give up one bed in the garden. It was lovely and sunny and warm today, but tomorrow it's going to get cold again and snow. 

I have a bird feeder that attaches to my window. I haven't used it for a few years but it would be good to mount it again to help the birds. This afternoon both a coal tit and a blue tit were sitting on some branches very close to the window, so I'm sure they'd come and feed. It was nice seeing them so close.  :)

Boatsetsailrose

Nice to hear you blueberry
Nature is so beautiful and I'm so thankful what is happening now is spring and not winter...
Here in the UK we have had lovely sunshine this week....
I've been sitting in my shed having my lunch and feeling the warmth..
Looking at the daisies, spring flowers and the odd seagull..
Ive planted my gardeners delight Tom seeds and they are propagating on the window sill...

Blueberry

Sounds lovely Boatssetsail! How are the seeds doing now? Flourishing I hope!

Today I discovered a pink bloom on a scrawny gone-wild rose I've been trying to bring along for a couple of years now  :)

I made some green fertiliser a couple of weeks ago by putting nettles in a bucket of water and leaving it to stand. Today I started using it, massively diluted. I'm very happy about this because the first time I did this, I left it standing far too long because cptsd got in the way as it does sometimes, making next to everything impossible. It felt like that today too, but then I got a spark of energy from somewhere, enough to start doling out fertiliser on areas of my garden with very poor soil and where I've removed moss etc so I can put some grass seeds in.

Blueberry

This year I finally got round to sowing more grass seed in a shady spot that often turns very mossy. I've been intending to sow grass there for a couple of years or so. Now I have  :cheer: And tiny thin little blades of grass are already poking out of the soil.

A few perennials are about to bloom, my purple rose mallows are blooming. They're new this year, from a mixed flower seed packet sowed last year. My raspberry canes are new, again, because of me having to change beds again. The canes look quite thin and scrawny but there are still quite a number of berries. My red and black currants are beginning to turn colour. It's pretty hot and sunny atm so things are taking off in the garden.

Bermuda

I just found this thread, and I'm so excited. I also love gardening. How truly lovely it feels when you see your little fruit babies growing.

I had a permaculture food forest in Germany, but recently moved to an urban area in Sweden where I have only my houseplants to nurture.

Berry season is such a lovely time, and not *only* because it coincides with pie season.

PhoenixA

Oh I'm so happy to find this thread!!  I too love gardening, though I am MUCH downsized from my 150'X150' veggie/herb garden I had at one time.  Now I have a tiny little garden with some basic veggies I can freeze or can (what I don't graze my way through!! :bigwink:). And flowers I tried planting some very old seeds to use up and not surprisingly few germinated but we will see what I can do with those.

Blueberry so love your 'weeds' that you eat!!  My grandmother used to say that a weed was only a plant growing where you didn't want it to grow so I don't think of a lot as weeds and so happy to find someone else that grows and eats non-traditional plants :)
Hope you're still on here Blueberry and that your 'weeds' are growing well this year!

Armadillo

Haha and I am glad you found it! I've been trying to work up the motivation to plant seeds since um February and missed my planting window for a bunch. Maybe this will get me out there this weekend. It's good for us, isn't it?

Kizzie

HI Gardeners one and all  :heythere:   ICYDK, most threads are locked when they get to Page 5 so it doesn't get too long to load/read and another thread Part x is started.  I forgot to lock this one and started a Part 2 already  :doh:

Sorry Phoenix and Armadillo!  You can copy and paste your posts in Part 2 if you wouldn't mind.