Book Suggestions - Maybe something pleasant, calming, enjoyable to read?

• 19 Replies

blues_cruise

• View Profile
Re: Book Suggestions - Maybe something pleasant, calming, enjoyable to read?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 09:25:21 PM »
Demelza! ♥️ I've watched all the seasons of Poldark on PBS but have thought of getting the books. I do love to read.

I love Poldark, it's proper Sunday evening 'put your feet up in front of the TV' watching for me.  ;D

Hi Blues-Cruise & Three Roses - Only just seen your replies - and thank you!  Great suggestions.  I need to come back here to update on my reading experience - as I have read some things over Christmas.  I'm a bit too tired right now, but I'll hope to come back later in the week, when I have more energy - and will write about it - as I appreciated all the suggestions, and took some of them on board - as my library stocked some of the books. 
Hope  :)

So nice to hear you did some reading over Christmas, Hope.  :) It is really therapeutic. There's a really good website I like using called 'Goodreads' where you can list books you've read and then it recommends you other things you might enjoy. I really like it because you can have a browse and then add books you're interested in to your 'To Read' list, so you don't forget all the things that have caught your eye.  :thumbup:

DandelionCrown

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 05:12:11 AM »
Hi!

As an English major and a lover of books of all kinds, I have a few recommendations. If you like poetry, the poetry collection "How Lovely the Ruins" is an amazing book for trauma and difficult times. It's my absolute favorite. "The Princess Saves herself in this one" is also great feminist poetry, if you're into that.

The Percy Jackson series is fun especially for when I want to build a blanket fort and hide out for days. (I've done that, it's great). A Dog's Purpose is one of my favorite books to cry over because it's about a good dog and his human and that always has me gushing tears. I also like the Clockwork Series by Cassandra Clare more so than I do her Mortal Instruments series, and found that I really enjoyed that. I've been meaning to revisit the Harry Potter series as well. These books satisfy my inner child's need for fantasy and adventure, and tend to be the safer stories that I've had on my shelves for eons and eons. These are definitely my build-a-blanket-fort stories.

Of course, there's also cheesy romantic comedies, and my brand happens to be LGBTQ romance, so I have to recommend the Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, Sometime after Midnight by L Phillips, Running with Lions by Julian Winters, Riding with Brighton by Haven Francis, Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin, and Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg. (You can probably tell that this is one of my favorite genres to unwind to). I personally find the formula and pattern of romance novels soothing. These tend to be more my taste than my inner child's, though, so I tend to go for these when not in flashback.

Hope67

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
Hi again Blues_cruise - I will have a look out for the GoodReads website you mentioned.  Thank you.   :)
Hi DandelionCrown - Thanks very much for your reply - and suggestions.  I will try to get hold of the "How Lovely the Ruins" book you mentioned - as I do like poetry.  I think I saw the film called 'A Dog's Purpose' and that did make me cry - so I can imagine the book would be similar.  Thank you so much for all your suggestions, and I am very happy to have so many recommendations to look at - I have got some time this weekend, and I am going to try to chill out and relax and read some calming and enjoyable things.  That's my plan.
Hope  :)

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »
Tks for this thread Hope as I just realized I have a pile of books relating to trauma waiting to be read and nothing that is relaxing or calming. I used to read all the time at night before going to sleep and I guess I stopped because trauma books are not exactly relaxing, well that plus having an iPad. 

Anyhow, I am going to comb through this thread and see if I can come up with a few titles that will help me get back into reading before bed, I do miss it.  :zzz:

Tks again  :thumbup:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 08:22:58 PM »
I just remembered when I was a young teen I loved The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew - might be something for your inner teen  :Idunno:

I also used to love the books by veterinarian James Harriot (All Things Bright & Beautiful, All Creatures Great and Small).