The wrong type of therapy?

Started by malt2018, December 07, 2018, 09:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malt2018

Is anyone else here doing psychoanalytic psychotherapy? I have been with my therapist now for 4 years. I have definitely benefited in many ways and seen improvements in my day to day life. Those 4 years, however, have been for the most part extremely painful. The pain is mostly in relation to the therapy relationship etc. I recently have had a rupture with my T very similar to one we had last year whereby she forgot something very important to me (Again). It has just highlighted that she does not care about me in the way I want her to. I do think she cares.  Anyway, I am beginning to feel like I have had enough and can no longer take the constant cycle of pain. When do you know enough is enough ? I get that therapy is painful but it just feels like there is lots of pain and anguish and it seems never-ending. I am essentially wondering if a different style of therapy would be better for C-PTSD or if I am just wanting to run away as I am in a particular bad space with it at the moment? I am extremely attached to my T and have intense ET so leaving would be extremely heartbreaking and painful for me in itself.

Blueberry

Sometimes a therapist is a good fit for a few years and then not anymore.

malt2018

Yes, this is what I am wondering. Is it time to change therapist or am I just resisting/avoiding the inevitable pain? It took me such a long time to even remotely start to trust this one. Even financially the thought of having to spend so much time learning to trust another T makes me winch. I mean I think if I left this one I'd almost just stop altogether. I am pretty functioning in day to day life although therapy has helped me make positive changes in my life and continues to help me address childhood issues and life's stresses It is not an absolute essential to my coping or living!. Sure it is an investment in myself and my family but I guess essentially I am left wondering if the pain I seem to be constantly in is worth it? I also see the same issues of attachment etc arise if I moved therapist. I have intense feelings of ET for her which means leaving her would in itself be extremely painful itself without some lengthy wind-down IMO.

johnram

i think psychodynamic are not really tailored to cPTSD, would think its worth exploring options

i had an integrative therapist for many years but now i am doing EMDR with a trauma therapist, much better

keen to hear what you do

good luck