Group therapy

Started by voicelessagony2, March 16, 2015, 10:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

voicelessagony2

I really, really want to find a local support group that I can go IRL, I mean, not that I don't LOVE you guys here in OOTS, but I keep hearing over and over, from people recovering from trauma, that finding a good local support group is what made the critical difference for them. I am getting good therapy, so that part is OK, but I am searching and searching and there are too many terms that are used too many different ways. The only local PTSD I can find is very clear that they are ONLY for veterans with post-war PTSD. My searches turn up absolutely ZILCH when I add the term "complex" or "CPTSD".

I just got off the phone with a group that meets on thursdays, which I will try, but they are an open group for any and all mental illnesses, so schizophrenia, bi-polar, depression, whatever, all mixed in together.

You would think a city this size (5 to 7 million people!!) would have a handful of groups for any given diagnosis????

Anybody else conquer this problem? How did you find a group?

keepfighting

Ask your T (if you have one). That's my best guess. Even if s/he doesn't run a support group him/herself, s/he might know a collegue who does.

It's not the kind of thing you can find through the internet, I'd imagine.

Your GP might also know who to ask in your area.

Good luck!

wingnut

Hi. I got this from the bureau of vet affairs.
Hope it helps. Id love to find a non 12 step and non fee program too.

How can I find a peer support group?

Here are some ideas to help you find a peer support group that can help you deal with PTSD or a traumatic experience:

Do an online search for "PTSD support groups" or for a group that relates to the specific trauma you experienced, like "disaster support groups."

Anxiety and Depression Association of America* offers a list of support groups across the country for a number of different mental health conditions, including PTSD.

Sidran Institute* Help Desk locates support groups for people who have experienced trauma. Sidran does not offer clinical care or counseling services, but can help you locate care or support.

National Alliance for Mental Illness* (NAMI) Information HelpLine provides support, referral and information on mental illness care. You may also find family support groups in a NAMI state or local affiliate online or by calling 1(800)950-NAMI (6264).

C.

I think that this is a challenge in a lot of places.  Sorry I can't help, I couldn't find a local, appropriate support group myself either.  And I looked in two large metro areas as well.  It seems the San Francisco/Bay area in California is the place to find one...several in that area...

Cocobird

Along with therapy, I have been going to a self help group for mental patients called Recovery International. Google it for the website.

It has helped a lot. It's not for the deep issues that I discuss with my therapist, but it is great for help with anxiety and getting through the day, and dealing with everyday upsets.