CPTSD or PTSD

Started by Ayisha, December 19, 2018, 02:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayisha

When i was diagnosed with CPTSD some three years ago, i had never heard of the disorder. Soon after i started hearing about PTSD quite often and then more often. It seems to be a popular diagnosis. I often wonder is some people with PTSD actually have CPTSD. And vice versa. If this is the case for some people then they wouldn't be receiving the correct therapy etc. As i suffered my trauma as a child and suffered it for six years, then my persona changed in its entirety... way back then. It changed forever. I was condemned to a life not my own! This reality requires a whole different psychiatric approach than that of someone who has suffered a  major car accident, for example.
Does anyone have any opinions on this subject.
In the meantime i wish you and your loved ones a beautiful christmas and a superb new year. x

Kizzie

It comes down to symptoms, PTSD has three and Complex PTSD has six so that's really the determining factor.  Unfortunately though some professionals don't yet know/accept the difference so there is the possibility that people will be misdiagnosed with PTSD when they actually have Complex PTSD.  See http://www.outofthestorm.website/symptoms/

I should also mention that many trauma professionals (see Pete Walker's work for example) don't view us as being changed per se, but as dealing with arrested development that treatment and self-care can reignite those parts of us that stalled out and grow into (bloom into?) the people we are.

Hope this is helpful ;-)

Ayisha

Hi Kizle
Thank you for your reply. Yes it was most helpful.
Ishy