Three Good Things Today ... Part 5

Started by Kizzie, December 22, 2018, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris336

1. Electricity - We couldn't communicate like this without it

2. Physical Therapists - who provided two months of PT for lumbar radiculopathy which is now much better

3. Evergreens - so that winter won't be so dreary

4. Musicians and storytellers - who capture and preserve the wonder and awe of our inner and outer worlds

:applause: :yahoo:

Perplex

#1. I'm back from a week of holiday. I've always been afraid of going on leisure trips since... things usually go wrong. But this one actually went pretty well!
#2. My pets are doing okay.
#3. I've discovered some harsh truths about a certain person, but whilst they're rather negative truths, knowing said truths make me feel more comfortable than not knowing at all.

arale

1) My first post on this amazing forum! I feel like I'm in the deep loving embrace of a wide community.

2) A student wrote: "You should continue [teaching] like this. It's the first time I've ever been interested to come to English class."

3) I shared laughs and mocktails with a lovely GF over unlimited buffet lunch today.

4) DH and I spent an evening combing through my triggers of the day - starting to able to recognize when I'm flashing back, when I'm triggered - hooray!!!

arale

1) Here. I finally feel that I can be myself. Wounded, strange, different, warts and all. No need to apologize. No need to be sorry for being who I am.

2) Beauty. In the snow. In the mountains.

3) The internet. Finding partners in crime in the journey to grow, to heal, to reclaim life.

Blueberry

Hello arale,

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad it's doing you so much good :)

1) I was at a Christmas Party today and I really enjoyed it
2) When the people round about me got up and wandered over somewhere else, I moved to sit with other people, which I've never done there before. It's a bit unusual because we're seated at tables. But today I got up and did it.
3) We sang carols at the end. Sometimes when I'm singing, I still marvel at the fact that I've healed enough from my childhood self-consciousness (definitely caused by emotional abuse) to sing in a group whether or not I'm in tune. I often don't hit all the notes, despite the fact that I sing in a choir. It's a Good Thing for me that I sing anyway.

Erebor

1) Getting back to this forum, and rediscovering the relief of finding other souls with similar experiences.

2) Journalling. I am expanding the variety of journals I keep, and investing in my soul's instinct that writing will help me heal.

3) I made it this far.

Blueberry

Over on my Journal I wrote about how little I've accomplished today so for the record just want to write 3 Good Things:

1) I removed the beeping smoke detector from the ceiling, Googled about it, and bought the correct batteries for it and for the other beeping smoke detector I removed a long time ago. This is all very difficult for me because working with hands, with appliances and doing kind of 'handyman' jobs, all very triggering and SH-inducing, but I did it!

2) To be fair, it's good to remind myself that I did an awful lot yesterday, including tidying and cleaning up when i got home from the Christmas Party. Sometimes I just need a break.

3) I started writing my birthday party invitation. Of course I will type it and send to most friends via email, but I noticed that I simply couldn't write the first draft on my computer, so today I finally sat down and started writing by hand. That's paying attention to my own needs and seeing what changes I need to make so that I can move forwards :yes:.

4)  As I was telling a friend I don't speak to often about my recent progress, I noticed firstly how animated my voice was, which means I really believe what I was saying, I can really feel my progress and that my emotions and thoughts weren't dissociated. I also noticed just how much progress I've made recently, some of it with deeply entrenched problems!

arale

1) Feeling seen. Thank you blueberry, saylor, woodsgnome, northman, and all of you.

2) The internet. Again! I didn't know I love it so much! Well, in fact, I didn't know I owe it so much. A few days ago, I thanked it for allowing me to connect with people. Today, I thank it for allowing people to put up inspirational stuff that I can trawl through, digest, integrate, at my own pace, in the safety of my own home, sitting behind the screen. Thanks to the internet, I don't (necessarily) have to pay lots of money, travel very far (and be stressed by the travels), meet new people (and be self-conscious about my worthlessness and inadequacy), to get too much wisdom too fast.

3) Mustering courage to say "no". Wooouaf, it's not easy, but it feels good to see that I'm beginning the process of taking my place and claiming my life.

arale

Woof, it's been a tough day. But it's good to continue practicing orienting my attention towards the good things - 'coz, indeed, good things do happen even on the worst days - just because my ability to focus on the bad things is so strong.

1) My first day on skis this season. White, untrammeled snow. Effortless glide. Silence in the woods. Filled with beauty.

2) I used to believe that I'm lost, that I don't know what I want. Today, I woke up to the fact that, in fact, I do know exactly what I want. I feel strong and powerful. At lunchtime, I didn't negotiate with anyone. I took my time and made the dish I wanted.

3) I found an ingenious way around my baking disaster. In the end, I hardly had to throw out anything, and could get 70 cookies ready for the last day of school!

woodsgnome

Yes, this is all good, but item #3 does contain material which probably warrants at least a potential ***TRIGGER ADVISORY***. It's definitely a 'good' and happy vibe, but it required one bleak reference to an intensely grim period in my life; thus the cautious trigger advisory.

1. Despite being bummed about having to cancel my next therapy appointment (bad traveling weather) -- I'm disappointed but also feeling more confident I can continue working on my own. It may even make next time better, given how things have been going.

2. A friend of mine (one of only 2 who know and understand any of my journey's travails) was gifted a new kitten within days after what she thought was her 'last' one died.

3. Tomorrow is my favourite holiday -- St. Lucia's Day. Not only for its unique pageantry, but mostly for its message of the light of love that can come even in the darkest times. You see, it was also the exact day 2 years ago when I accepted the challenge of my therapist to continue the life I'd felt wasn't worth to continue struggling with anymore. I even lit a candle in her office to mark the occasion. I'm so happy for that special memory of St. Lucia Day's extra special symbolism. Words will never describe this moment adequately, but it feels good to share its essence. Light a candle!

Not Alone

Quote from: woodsgnome on December 13, 2019, 02:01:17 AM
3. Tomorrow is my favourite holiday -- St. Lucia's Day. Not only for its unique pageantry, but mostly for its message of the light of love that can come even in the darkest times. You see, it was also the exact day 2 years ago when I accepted the challenge of my therapist to continue the life I'd felt wasn't worth to continue struggling with anymore. I even lit a candle in her office to mark the occasion. I'm so happy for that special memory of St. Lucia Day's extra special symbolism. Words will never describe this moment adequately, but it feels good to share its essence. Light a candle!
Woodsgnome,
I lit a candle today in honor of your choice for life and said a prayer for you.

arale

Thank you woodsgnome for sharing. This is so beautiful. It reminds me of the power of symbolism, which can be an ally whenever I need it.

I am one of the lucky ones who have been able to enjoy your decision to stay in this world a bit longer. Thank you for your presence.

Today was an up day compared to yesterday, so it's much easier to find 3 things:

1) For me the majority of relationships has always been about give and take. You are nice to me because you want something from me. When, once in a while, I have interactions that are really free (without asking for anything back), I finally understand what therapists / healers mean when they say that humans are nourished by relationships. I had some of those interactions today and for a moment, I glimpsed beauty in humanity.

2) Many things could have gone wrong on this very busy day. Very few things did. I only lost the thermos that my mum bought me over a decade ago. As always, I'm sad to lose companions of many past adventures, but I am also ready to move on.

3) Last day of school. It was a semester that I wasn't sure at the beginning would even begin at all. Despite the uncertainties, bad surprises, and difficult adjustments at the beginning, the semester went, more or less smoothly, and is now completed, without too many hiccups. I guess I can use this to remind myself: see, what you think for sure would turn bad doesn't always turn bad!

Blueberry

1) I'm making big emotion-based progress again
2) A very unexpected offer of help for getting a start on tidying and cleaning in my apartment
3) This offer inspired me to do a little bit of both on my own :) though I definitely still could do with help
4) My self-acceptance is quite high this evening

Blueberry

I finally
1) had a shower and hair wash
2) made some decisions on my business advertising and got back to two separate people on that
3) went to the optician's, had an eye test and ordered new lenses but can keep the old frames
4) wrote and sent two important FOO missives on practical matters

arale

This is my first post of good things in 2020. It's not because there haven't been good things. I guess I haven't been paying as much attention to them as they deserve.

1) I wrote 3 emails of self-affirmation. I was mad and I said it! Wow!
2) I was making movies in my head and bracing for ostracization, but I got a very positive reply to my email instead.
3) A new found partner on the journey of self-discovery. In sync, in luck, infinitely grateful.