It's time for me try medication.

Started by thetruth, December 24, 2018, 09:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetruth

Due to the low quality of my daily life now, I feel I must try medication, anti-depressant medication.

A friend says citalopram has helped him to cope with some intense and life affecting emotions, rumination and anxiety.

I googled 'citalopram for rumination' . and I found this testimony in a forum:-

"I had intrusive thoughts, dreadful anxiety and depression for years and years and I recovered taking SSRI's.  Everyone's different of course.
As funkdakarma says, the thoughts and anxiety are closely related.  You get into a cycle of depression - anxiety - intrusive thoughts - anxiety - depression etc etc and this medicine helps break that cycle by relieving the anxiety, helping to lift the depression and so the intrusive thoughts will become less important.  Depression makes our minds tired, thoughts thrive on anxiety and then stick to a tired mind, going round and round.

Now I'm well, the intrusive thoughts have disappeared way to the back of my mind and don't bother me or cause me any anxiety any more.  I do t think of them much now - the anxiety was cured for me and so the thoughts lost their importance.

Everyone suits different doses and am sure you'll find the correct one for you to help. This medicine take a long time to work, but keep persevering, have lots of patience and you should feel some benefit from it in time.  Your mood may be up and down for a while - some days or weeks you feel great and others you feel back in the midst of it all again.  This is normal and just part of the healing process.

Hope this helps."

To me this sounds like a good recommendation.

Does anyone else have experience of citalopram or similar meds?

At this stage I need to try something. My life cant go on as it is right now.

Blackbird33

Hi the truth
I take escitalopram 10mg daily. Have done for over a year. I think it's more or less the same as what you are planning on taking. It has reduced my anxiety quite abit . And lifted my mood too. 15mg was too much it left me feeling like a zombie. Definately recommend it. Unfortunaltely hasn't helped whatsoever with nightmares or flashbacks. But at least fhe anxiety has diminished!
Start it slowly. Quarter tablet for 4 days, then half for 4 days until you go up to a whole.
Best of luck! BB

Three Roses

I had great luck with fluoxetine (generic Prozac). I've been on it for a long time now and may now have developed a tolerance or something, and may need something more effective - but I don't know how I would have gone on without some medicinal intervention. Best wishes to you in this, I'm interested to hear updates from you on this subject.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi the truth
I take citalopram 25mg and have been on it for the majority of 10yrs. It helps hugely for depression and my feelings of being able to cope. I have tried many other SSRI and this has been the only one i can tolerate the initial bumpyness of going on a anti d .
I do have side effects off it hence trying other ones.
Overall it has helped my EF although the past year this hasn't been held as well due to high stress levels re life changes.

The thing with SSRI is it isn't one size fits all but citalopram is commonly used and an effective drug ..

Rumination can be so difficult and to find something to ease this is worth it weight in gold...

Blueberry

Hi the truth,

I take Citalopram 15mg. I've been on it for a good few years now, maybe 10. I used to have a higher dosage, I think 30mg or so. I notice the effects after about 4 weeks when I stop taking it, which I have done sort of by accident before :doh:. Everything gets much harder. So I'm sticking to it. I have had other meds before and didn't feel helped, nor did I notice a difference when I eventually stopped taking these other meds.

woodsgnome

Thanks for posting this.

After 3 years of no drugs, my T has referred me to be evaluated by a psychiatrist for possibly going on that or a similar medication. I'm always reluctant, partly due to some bad experiences with other medical (not psych) drugs, so it's a tad encouraging to see that others here have had good (or at least not horrible) experiences with it.

Lately it's seemed like my lows are hitting me harder, so that's the hope -- that I might even things out a bit.

Boatsetsailrose

Bessel van de kolk talks about anti d use with cptsd in his book the body keeps the score ...he concludes of its effectiveness with cptsd symptoms

thetruth

Quote from: Three Roses on December 24, 2018, 06:13:46 PM
I had great luck with fluoxetine (generic Prozac). I've been on it for a long time now and may now have developed a tolerance or something, and may need something more effective - but I don't know how I would have gone on without some medicinal intervention. Best wishes to you in this, I'm interested to hear updates from you on this subject.

Hi Three Roses,

in Spring 2015 I tried Prozac. After 7 or 8 weeks of being in a zombie like state I decided I simply couldn't cope with it any longer.

I remember deciding I was going to exercise myself better.  I started jogging. That particular episode passed, little did I know the episodes would become a very regular occurrence. Back then I hadn't heard of an emotional flashback.

I have got my citalopram and I plan to give them a good long trial.

thetruth

Quote from: Blackbird33 on December 24, 2018, 01:17:21 PM
Hi the truth
I take escitalopram 10mg daily. Have done for over a year. I think it's more or less the same as what you are planning on taking. It has reduced my anxiety quite abit . And lifted my mood too. 15mg was too much it left me feeling like a zombie. Definately recommend it. Unfortunaltely hasn't helped whatsoever with nightmares or flashbacks. But at least fhe anxiety has diminished!
Start it slowly. Quarter tablet for 4 days, then half for 4 days until you go up to a whole.
Best of luck! BB

Thanks a lot for the feedback Blackbird. I am hoping for a reduction in difficult rumination and a reduction on anxiety. These 2 problems are killing my energy and will to live. I need relief from this thing.

Rainagain

I hope it helps you TT,

Takes at least a month to work I think, why don't you describe how you feel now and do the same at the end of January? I could never tell if meds were working, might help you find that out.

thetruth

Hi Rainagain,

Thats a really good idea.  On a too infrequent basis at present, I feel that it would be better if I had never been born. Im currently liberated from the pain thanks to whiskey and guinness. Its actually quite remarkable how you can be liberated from the pain within the same 24 hours in which you were right down there in the pit. I think you know what the pit feels like. Its pretty not ok.

My last few mornings, on waking, have been as bad as any waking I will have within my time alive. I am waking to intense pain. Its not a good enough way to be alive.

Like you suggest, with a bit of luck, come the 31st of January, maybe I will be reporting waking in the morning and not wishing I didnt exist. Sorry if this sounds in any way melodramatic, but the pain is pretty bad.

I dream of being able to wake in the morning and think thoughts that can be described as good. Citalopram might help that to happen.

Thank you.

thetruth

Quote from: Boatsetsailrose on December 25, 2018, 04:10:27 PM
Bessel van de kolk talks about anti d use with cptsd in his book the body keeps the score ...he concludes of its effectiveness with cptsd symptoms

Thanks Rose,

I have my medication. I wasnt advised whether to take it morning or night but the box says it may make you sleepy so maybe I should leave it until later tonight.

Yes, what I hope for is a reduction in symptoms so that I can maybe begin to find enjoyment in life again, where at present there is only adversity in my mind.

thetruth

Quote from: woodsgnome on December 25, 2018, 02:07:03 AM
Thanks for posting this.

After 3 years of no drugs, my T has referred me to be evaluated by a psychiatrist for possibly going on that or a similar medication. I'm always reluctant, partly due to some bad experiences with other medical (not psych) drugs, so it's a tad encouraging to see that others here have had good (or at least not horrible) experiences with it.

Lately it's seemed like my lows are hitting me harder, so that's the hope -- that I might even things out a bit.

Hi Woodsgnome,

It sounds like we are in similar states of needing change sooner rather than later.

A friend of mine has been on citalopram for a few years due to an obsessional thought problem borne out of an act of infidelity which he did which effectively ended his marriage. He says he was quite suicidal but now he is not. He wouldnt dream of going off the meds.

I hope you experience a positive shift and I will be delighted to report the same.

thetruth

Hi folks.

Today will be my 5th day on Citalopram 10mg. I had a drink at Christmas but I have been alcohol free now for 4 days. I wish I had stayed fully clear of booze but I gave in for festive reasons.

I have a high pitched ringing in my head and I wonder has anyone else had a similar experience when taking antidepressant meds?

I also have a bit of a headache but its not the worst headache ever. I feel somewhat sluggish and lazy.

Im trying to give myself a by-ball until I have been on this medication for a week or 3.

Its hard to tell when you are depressed what is actually going on. I'd be tired and demotivated anyway regardless of taking meds. It is the depths of winter after all. It is never an energy abundant time for me at the best of times.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi the truth
Yes I've found going onto it I've had buzzing in my head and headache ...it always eased for me after 4 wks or so.. I'd say for me it has taken a good 2/ 3 mths for my body to fully adjust to the drug.
Sluggish is def something i experience with citalopram and i know when I've come off it in the past i feel i 'wake up and am more alive /energetic ...I've heard others describe the sluggishness too...im alright when i get going its the motivation myself but that can be a bit harder work.
It sounds a good plan you have, give it some time and see how u go