Scapegoat? Gaslight?

• 5 Replies

Rainagain

• New member 27/9/17 cptsd diagnosed 20/9/17 oh well
    • View Profile
Scapegoat? Gaslight?
« on: December 28, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
There are phrases used on the forum I don't understand fully so don't connect with.

One aspect of my having to leave work is possibly quite telling, its like I became an acceptable target or scapegoat.

After several years of management harassment or victimisation a minor incident occurred where I made a simple phone call on behalf of a partner organisation to obtain readily available information they had every right to request.

My colleagues and other managers not directly involved in my harassment tried to turn this into some sort of potential disciplinary investigation against me.

They decided to write statements as though they were providing evidence against me and fed these to the harassing managers for use as some sort of ammunition against me.

Now, I knew something odd was going on and to protect myself I raised their behaviour as a grievance, I knew nothing of their secret moves to get me on some sort of disciplinary issue.

I was upset that the information was withheld, simply because I requested it.

Their attempt to act against me evaporated as I had acted properly.

My grievance was then described as simply another aspect of my difficulty with managers and it all 'went away'.

What is interesting to me is that groundless attempt to harm me. It is not normal practice and is against policy, there has to be a disciplinary matter identified before it is investigated and evidence gathered, not the other way around.

Its very odd, these are people who I had worked for, and with, who I had helped in lots of ways for over a decade.

Yet when they saw a chance to join in my harassment they literally fell over themselves to try to harm me, forgetting policy and procedure, writing statements nobody had requested as part of any investigation, just eager to cause me further harm.

Witch hunt? Scapegoat? Weak minds trying to curry favour with managers involved in harassment? Bullying someone who couldn't easily defend themselves?

It says something dark about human nature I think, this willingness to join the powerful to harm the weak.

I have accepted what happened, this episode was so late on it made no difference to my outcome anyway and their whole effort was silly and misconceived.

But what they tried to do was bad stuff which they must have believed would really put me in a bad situation and cause me great harm, the intent is clear and pretty vile really, its like they had a dark joy in trying to harm me.

Yet they see themselves as decent pleasant people, professionals etc. They don't see their actions truly, they were trying to punish someone they believed deserved punishment, for reasons I don't understand.

It does fit the Jordan Peterson definition of evil, yet they would never see it like that.

I'm wondering if that dark joy is an ingredient in workplace cptsd, possibly an essential ingredient.

LilyITV

• View Profile
Re: Scapegoat? Gaslight?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 05:21:26 PM »
Ugh, I hate that you are having to endure this type of treatment.  Are you in the U.S.?  It's a real shame there is not more protection for workers against this type of behavior.  I feel that here in the U.S., we are completely at our bosses' mercy.

That is so pathetic those other people would join in the harassment.  Are they friends with the harassers, or do they think they might be able to ingratiate themselves with the harassers and get favors?  Maybe they are joining in the abuse because they are afraid that they will be the scapegoated one if they don't. 

sanmagic7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »
personally,  rainagain, i think that 'dark joy' is an ingredient in every single abuser's mindset.  there must be, to my mind, some kind of pos. that abusers receive within them mentally or emotionally, that encourages them to continue abusive behavior.

whether it's a feeling of superiority that they can manipulate someone, a feeling of power that they can cause someone to struggle at their own whim, a feeling of control over another human being, or something else, i do think it has some kind of 'joy' (in a very twisted sense) attached.  somehow it must make them feel better about themselves, again, in a very dark way.

i'm so very sorry you've had to go thru that crapola where you worked.  what a horrible feeling, trying to do your job and having to put up with such harrassment, such willful negativity against you - yeah, i think it's evil.  it's certainly not right.

scapegoat sounds about right there.  so does bullying.  victimization as well.  what a terrible threesome to battle against.  shows your strength of spirit and character to act the way you did, and to eventually get out from under it.  kudos to you.

sending love and  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Rainagain

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 07:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the input.

Its OK, this happened as I was leaving my career, its all in the past now.

I think the motive was to get brownie points with the managers who were actively doing me harm, but its hard to tell really.

Its the way they leaped at the chance to harm me I find a puzzle, there was little benefit to them really, and their actions were so obviously wrong it could have harmed their careers, if I had any way to defend myself.

Maybe that is key, they felt I couldn't protect myself or harm them so they could act freely against me.

Sharks attracted by blood in the water? It felt like that, but what sort of people would behave like that?

Not the sort I would choose as managers or colleagues, that's for sure.

LilyITV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »
Wow that is weird.  It really is disappointing how cruel people can be to each other for seemingly no reason at all.   I'm so glad you are gone for that place though. 

Rainagain

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:16:15 PM »
I'm glad I'm out of there too, very.

I think San is right, it must make them feel better about themselves in some way. There was no other benefit I can see so it must be a twisted power trip.

They just weren't smart enough to see there was nothing for them to use against me so they jumped in and showed their hand when it made no real difference.

I wish all my enemies were as weak minded and silly, sadly not.