cPTSD - EMDR vs Sensorimotor psychotherapy or another

Started by johnram, March 27, 2019, 08:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

Hi people

i am quite confused about what type of therapy i should be doing.

So i have attachment issues, early developmental trauma and a few other trauma instances - which gives rise to the cPTSD

Now having done research i have been receiving EMDR, which i feel is helping but i am wary other people and the Bessel book (body knows the score) states Sensorimotor or other types of therapy are better. 

Really keen to not waste more time and money, so keen on opinions on treatment experiences / thoughts etc

thank you

Elphanigh

Hi Johnram,

In my experience EMDR can really do wonders for attachment issues. I also have a lot of early trauma and have worked in other modalities. It is, my very humble opinion, that as long as you are feeling progress a modality is never a waste. I also truly believe in order to heal it will likely take more than one modality as they are all good for different things. Maybe do EMDR and when it feels natural discuss moving to something different.

I got luck to have a therapist that would utilize the somatic modalities with innerchild work, in addition to my EMDR. We could (and still do) use pieces of like 4 modalities in one session if that is what felt natural and needed. The combination really helped my complex trauma.

All that to say, there is no one method for healing this stuff. It is all so individual. If you feel like you are making progress I wouldn't worry too much about what modality you are using.