Trying to get a proper diagnosis

Started by Paul57, December 28, 2018, 07:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libby183

Like Eyesofblue, I was treated as having PTSD. I'm not sure that this was an appropriate approach. I do hope we can help get the message out there and that the official stuff would follow.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi eyes so blue they can diagnose under dsnos (disorders of stress not otherwise specified ...a lot of mh profs know complex trauma just not as the offical diagnosis of cptsd ....
So i got diagnosed as the above and then asked.the psychiatrist to add.into.the report after the icd classification -cptsd which he did....
It seems the psychologist is taking one view point that is rigid to the exclusion of what is very possible. You can ask for a second opinion? Push that you not willing to accept that they say its likely your diagnosis but are shutting down on getting that recorded.. You are.helping me to.think here about once it is in the icd will they have official.diagnostic assessment ...interesting .
Also you could do your ace score online and take that along ....?
Kizzys suggestion of collating in what postcodes others in uk have got the recognition seems.good.idea and ypu could also take that info to pals (NHS patient advocate liason service ) where you can make a case of it ...NHS standard of service and potential treatment based on postcode lottery  is not OK ...

Sad to hear you have a different experinence to some others due to your postcode. .

BeeBeen

Quote from: Paul57 on December 28, 2018, 07:16:29 PM
Hi all. I'm trying to assess how much trouble I will have with the medical establishment over this semi self-diagnosis. It isn't in The DSM-V (dropped it at the last minute amidst controversy). Here is the World Health Organization's definition

https://icd.who.int/browse11/l-m/en#/http://id.who.int/icd/entity/585833559

After successfully keeping my life mostly positive with a diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, the DSM-V came out, I changed GPs and things went downhill. All of a sudden I was diagnosed Bipolar II by one Pdoc and BPD by another. There are symptoms in both (violence, narcissism, risky behaviour, etc.) that I have never manifested. C-PTSD fits me perfectly.

compound this by my basically being locked out of the mostly useless 'mental health care system' here in NS, I have basically been untreated for years now.

Has anybody here had any experience with this diagnosis? Ant thoughts/advice on getting this diagnosis recognized? I'm at a point where I can't even leave the apartment by myself. Life is just pure misery and I can't get any help.

CPTSD on the ICD-11 will replace this diagnosis from ICD-10 (F62.0):
"Enduring personality change after catastrophic experience"
Enduring personality change, present for at least two years, following exposure to catastrophic stress. The stress must be so extreme that it is not necessary to consider personal vulnerability in order to explain its profound effect on the personality. The disorder is characterized by a hostile or distrustful attitude toward the world, social withdrawal, feelings of emptiness or hopelessness, a chronic feeling of "being on edge" as if constantly threatened, and estrangement. Post-traumatic stress disorder (F43.1) may precede this type of personality change.
https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/F62.0

I am diagnosed with it. It description is similar to CPTSD, the only difference it is that it assumes that you have a previous healthy personality before the traumatic experience while some of us were abused since before being born.

Kizzie

If anyone is interested, here are two position papers from the Int Society for Traumatic Stress Studies that lay out where the MH world is at in terms of a diagnosis of Complex PTSD:

Position Paper on Complex PTSD in Adults

Position Paper on Complex PTSD in Children and Adolescents

In June of 2018, the World Health Organization (WHO) diagnostic system, the International Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD) formally introduced a diagnosis of complex PTSD (CPTSD). In ICD-11, PTSD and CPTSD fall under a general parent category of Disorders Specifically Related to Stress.  PTSD consists of 3 core elements or clusters: re-experiencing of the traumatic event in the present, avoidance of traumatic reminders, and a sense of current threat. This formulation conceptualizes PTSD as a conditioned fear response and emphasizes symptoms that tie the disorder directly to traumatic events (Brewin et al., 2009).  CPTSD includes the 3 core elements of PTSD as well as 3 additional elements that reflect the impact that trauma can have on systems of self-organization, specifically problems in emotion regulation, self-concept, and relational domains under conditions of sustained, multiple or repeated traumatic exposure.

Boatsetsailrose

Thank you kizzie ive downloaded.for reading ...will communicate when i have ....

sj

Kizzie

Also, there's another very recent paper that speaks to the fact that clinicians/researchers are pushing ahead with the diagnosis of Complex PTSD now that it has been adopted by the World Health Org in their diagnostic manual (and despite the fact that it isn't in the APA's DSM).

Karatzias, T.  et al (Feb 2019) Psychological interventions for ICD-11 Complex PTSD symptoms: Systematic review and meta-analysis, Psychological Medicine

Abstract Excerpt:

The 11th revision to the WHO International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) identified Complex Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD) as a new condition. There is a pressing need to identify effective CPTSD interventions.... Conclusions: The development of effective interventions for CPTSD can build upon the success of PTSD interventions. Further research should assess the benefits of flexibility in intervention selection, sequencing and delivery, based on clinical need and patient preferences.

Progress!   :thumbup:

Boatsetsailrose