Just me??

Started by UnapologeticallyCharlie, December 31, 2018, 01:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnapologeticallyCharlie

Unfortunately trauma and addiction go hand in hand  :'( my sympathies go out to all of us currently battling the demons of addiction.  :hug:

I've used various substances for at least the last 20 years of my 30 year existence on this planet. It seems a large percentage of people with CPTSD are usually more likely to abuse alcohol - am I the only one here who has an addiction?

Elsiethewondercat

I have had a tendancy to abuse alcohol in the past, and i still binge drink from time to time but i have managed to get it more under control.  I know i do have an addictive personality and It would be easy to become addicted to many things that 'take the edge off', i'm thankful i have not gone down that route.  i hope you can turn a corner  :hug:

sj

It would surprise me, statistically speaking, if there were not others who came here either regularly or occasionally who did not have other addictions.

Alcohol has always been my main thing, with pot being a regular returner, though I had to make a very conscious decision not to use pethidine at one stage when I was presented with easy accessibility. I'd had a taste of it and loved it so much, but I knew deep in my gut that was not going to end well for me and I'm so glad I had enough awareness at that time to recognise and decide from that. My point being, There, but for the grace of God go I ... sliding doors, kinda thing.

Anyway, wishing you well in all facets of your healing and recovery  :)

LilyITV

Would addictions to things other than substances count?  Growing up, I was very isolated and sheltered and did not have access to alcohol or drugs, but I tend to have trouble with spending, food, internet and gaming.

Gromit

Quote from: LilyITV on January 04, 2019, 03:11:41 PM
Would addictions to things other than substances count?  Growing up, I was very isolated and sheltered and did not have access to alcohol or drugs, but I tend to have trouble with spending, food, internet and gaming.

Yes, I believe so, especially if any of these things have an impact on other parts of your life, like, health, work, finances.
G

sanmagic7

i've battled addictions most of my life, so, yeah, there's a fair few of us who have that in our backgrounds.  alc., drugs, food/eating, co-dependency , smoking- to name those most prominent for me.  you certainly are not alone.  love and hugs, my dear.

Ayisha

Hi UnapologeticallyCharlie
I have an addiction to alcohol too Charlie. So you are not on your own.
I have been drinking since I was 16.  It makes me feel wonderful... but if something triggers me, all * will break loose. This is the part that i hate. I end up being so cruel and nasty. These poor behaviors, i am told by my psychiatrist, are a result of my childhood trauma. Did you experience childhood trauma? Does the same thing happen to you sometimes?
Ishy

johnram

Quote from: LilyITV on January 04, 2019, 03:11:41 PM

Yes, they count.  Its the process that matters and how its removing you from living.
I have had similar addictions and they are hard to conquer

wishing you all well