Wk 3: Stage 1, Step 2, Activity 5 "Dreams and Nightmares"

• 6 Replies

C.

• Learning from reciprocity as I heal from CPTSD.
    • View Profile
Wk 3: Stage 1, Step 2, Activity 5 "Dreams and Nightmares"
« on: March 17, 2015, 04:07:18 AM »
5.   Start recording your dreams and nightmares in your journal.  A week or so later,  reread them and write down any impressions, specific feelings or images that come to you.  Don't worry if everything seems disconnected.  As you add the feeling and image details to the picture of your childhood, the whole picture will start to take shape.

C.

• View Profile
Re: Wk 3: Stage 1, Step 2, Activity 5 "Dreams and Nightmares"
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 12:05:27 AM »
This activity affirms our discussion last week about finding meaning in dreams.  I am starting to do so.  I think this will be an easier place to begin than the other suggested activities like an autobiography, drawing, pictures...those are too triggering for me right now.  Perhaps my dreams can help me understand what I'm ready for...

anosognosia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 11:06:35 AM »
I wanted to say that I actually don't have nightmares. I know a major criteria for PTSD is having nightmares but I usually dream about extreme catastrophes of current things in my life, hardly ever from my childhood.

VeryFoggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:49:54 PM »
I am having all sorts of weird dreams lately and they seem to have great meaning while I am asleep.  I keep telling myself through the dream you have to remember this.  Mostly when I wake I don't.

But here's one I remember, and only because I found a pen and wrote it down immediately.  I dreamed of camouflage, and leaves and something hidden, concealed, all night long, but it great meaning while I was asleep.  When I woke I immediately wrote, "If someone is concealing something from you and being deceitful, it is not right to be angry with yourself for being tricked.  You need to angry with the person who deceived you.

Yeah, I have weird dreams. I dreamed that one 3 nights in a row before I finally captured the thoughts on paper.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »
I like that sentence about trickery. You have wise dreams.

I used to have a recurring dream about being in a house owned by strangers, who I knew for a fact would be very tight-lipped and furious if they found me there, so I had to get back out as quickly and quietly as I could... but the house always turned out to be like a labyrinth. There was always yet another staircase, yet another hallway. I could never find my way out. - I haven't had those for many, many years. But it's only now that I really understand what those dreams were about.

Also a dream I only understand now, and had a lot: being in a public building along with many other people, and suddenly coming to a spot where you can only get to the next storey if you balance across a VEEEERY narrow plank. And everyone else is bustling about, no problem at all, and I'm standing there going "uh-oh... I can't do this", being all panicky, then trying it anyway, feeling very panicky and anxious.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
I don't have nightmares either Anos  :sadno:  I just have these really anxiety-ridden dreams as I posted elsewhere.  They're starting to change in that I am not alone in them anymore (trying to get on the right bus somewhere, not having the right change for the bus, not knowing where my classes are in university or what my class schedule is, that kind of thing - nothing nightmarish, just no solid footing in them, things I don't seem to be able to manage but should be able to .... ). 

Now my FOO often show up and I am interacting with them but like true PD people that's not easy to do.  It's feels like I am trying to nail jello to the wall or herd cats.  Seems a bit obvious but if some part of me recognizes that they and not me are the source of much of my anxiety then  :thumbup:   - that seems like some progress.  In these dreams I do get frustrated, but I also seem to know that they just don't respond in a normal fashion because they have a PD, like I'm aware way back when when I actually didn't know what the heck was going on.  And it's also like older me is dealing with them rather than younger me just sitting there and taking whatever they dish out.  OK I guess the shift in my dreams is more profound than I thought. Hunh.

This seems like a good place to mention this - I have to admit that one of my fondest wishes in life is to have a normal, even fun, light, merry dream that I remember with a big smile when I wake up.   

C.

• View Profile
Last night I dreamed that I was "responsible" for a baby and that when I was bathing the baby he/she started to go down the drain.  The first time I was able to rescue the baby.  But it happened again and I realized the drain was faulty.  The baby was going to die/drown...I felt guilty for not noticing the "danger"...and then I realized it was a dream and everything would be ok.

Interesting point about nightmares.  I guess I don't really consider them nightmares either because I don't feel so terrified or have my heart racing, but they're often unpleasant.

I love seeing the awareness about all of this here.

I work with someone who often wakes up happy, with pleasant dreams from pleasant memories.  It's sweet and encouraging.  I wish us all such a dream one day  :thumbup: