Book: Keeping the Love you Find (1992) Harvlle Hendrix

Started by Lakelynn, January 27, 2024, 06:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakelynn

Harville Hendrix, Ph.D.
Keeping the Love You Find-A Guide for Singles copyright 1992-Pocket Books

About: Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. began his career as a pastoral counselor in 1965. After his divorce in 1975, he began the study of marriage, with a focus on marital therapy that led to the development of the Imago Relationship Therapy. Various faculty appointments at Divinity Schools and affiliations with psychotherapy associations. He and his wife Helen, live in New York City and have 6 children between them.

Part I: Being Human, Being Single
1.   What's Wrong with Being Single
2.   What's Really Going on in Your Relationships
3.   The Human Journey

Part II The Imago Puzzle1: Childhood Nurturing
4.   Growing Pains: Uncovering the Wounds of Childhood
5.   Attachment and Exploration: Getting Securely Connected
6.   Identity and Competence: Becoming a Self
7.   Concern and Intimacy: Moving Out into the World
8.   Traumatized Relationships: Legacy of the Dysfunctional Family

Part III The Imago Puzzle IIL Childhood Socialization
9.   "For Your Own Good:" The Messages of Socialization
10.   Recovering the Missing Self: Love' Agenda
11.   Gender and Sexuality: Making Love, Not War

Part IV The Journey of Partnership
12.   The Imago: Recipe for Romance
13.   Partnership: The Journey to Consciousness

Part V Becoming a Conscious Single
14.   From Insight to Integration: Basic Strategies for Change
15.   New Skills, New Behavior: Steps to Self-Integration
16.    Real Love: Paradise Regained

Back book cover claims
•   Identify your Imago-the fantasy partner that your unconscious mind, which has a hidden agenda of it's own, has chosen for you.
•   break from those patterns in your parents' marriage that you have unknowingly internalized as your only relationship model
•   recognize the unfinished business of childhood that can be transformed into a conscious relationship
•   learn-and benefit from-every past relationship
•   practice new relationship skills
•   achieve the mature, nourishing, and enduring love that can immeasurably enrich your life.

CAUTION:

Those who know me know I like to read books, especially if it helps me move my recovery ahead. This is the table of contents and the bare bones. I have worked my way through about 4 parts. Let me caution you that since this book was written in 1992, whether you buy used or new, the pages are likely to be yellowed with age, perhaps the binding is flattened in places. Some of the "old" writing still has a place today, but reader beware. The exercises in this book may cause some long buried memories to surface, and the feelings associated with them may prevent you from fully learning from the suggested exercises.