Medical notes.

Started by Libby183, January 18, 2019, 08:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libby183

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.

I saw a GP earlier in the week and asked about what exactly was in my medical records with regards to my mental health issues. Quite a bit, it seems, but nothing about the last lot of emdr therapy. No mention of referral or letter to GP practice about treatment or outcome. I phoned the Emotional Wellbeing Service who commissioned the treatment and they said they have a record that I went for treatment but no follow-up.

Finally, I phoned the therapy provider who said they would release the notes, and would send a form to me to do this. It never came. They said, as well, that I would need to pay for a report from the therapist. I will do that but it seems wrong.

Anyway, this therapy had a huge (mostly negative) effect on my life and yet nobody, other than the therapist, seems to know anything about it.

I think I will continue to chase this up, but I feel very unsettled by it. I placed my trust in the NHS and this therapist, and yet it's like it never happened.

Any insights gratefully received.

Thanks.

Libby.

Wattlebird

Isn't a report considered part of their job? Especially to the referrer. It certainly is here, seems very wrong to me.

Libby183

Thank Wattlebird. I really would have thought so too. There was a full write up of the CBT I had five years ago. Yet nothing about this.

It seems to leave patients in a very vulnerable place. Going to phone the provider again today.

Hoping that everything is OK with you.

Libby.

Kizzie

QuoteFinally, I phoned the therapy provider who said they would release the notes, and would send a form to me to do this. It never came. They said, as well, that I would need to pay for a report from the therapist. I will do that but it seems wrong.

Anyway, this therapy had a huge (mostly negative) effect on my life and yet nobody, other than the therapist, seems to know anything about it.

I think I will continue to chase this up, but I feel very unsettled by it. I placed my trust in the NHS and this therapist, and yet it's like it never happened.

I know when I went for EMDR last time the T asked if I would like her to send a report to my GP. I'm also in treatment for sleep apnea and the doctor just sends off regular reports to my GP, didn't ask me if that's what I wanted so here at least there appears to be some leeway. (I'm in Canada.)  It may be the same there.  :Idunno:

I don't know the NHS but I would think they must have a section that can answer whether reports are a requirement and if you can be charged (which does seem wrong to me also given you were referred). There may even be some info available online.

In any event , if it is that your T is somewhat 'reluctant' to do/send a report there may be a reason for that you should know about.

Hope you are able to chase it down.  :yes:

Eyessoblue

Hi Libby, I had to sign a form to say I was happy or not happy for my info to be sent to the  G.p. Is I said I was happy for this. I'm assuming it has but have never chased it up as I don't 'need' to, for now anyway but would be interested to know what my notes said. I just guessed that my psychologist would send info there whenever I was discharged but having said that, I know that a lot of things I've mentioned to my gp she was completely unaware of , so not sure if it has or hasn't.
Again tho like you say this leaves us in a vulnerable situation where we don't know if/what has been said and certainly my psychologist has never discussed that she has sent any report etc, but maybe they aren't allowed to discuss the info with us, I'm really not sure how the whole nhs set up works, but I know it's a lot more complicated then it needs to be. I hope you're ok tho, I don't come on here so much now so try and catch up when I can.

Hope67

Hi Libby,
I don't know whether you could write to the Psychologist who saw you, (or their boss or organisation they work for) and explain that you would like to know whether he/she sent a report to your GP or not?  Also, maybe ask whether he/she can send you a copy of the reports, or how you can access them?  Afterall they are about you - and at least he/she could let you know what the procedure was for accessing the information.  At least they would be replying to a written letter to give a reply that could clarify the situation. 

Hope  :)

Libby183

Thanks everyone.

I'm pleased that you all generally agree that I should be able to get access to my notes. As I have never had a diagnosis, I think it might be helpful to support my case for on going financial support from my husband.  After all, all of the things that added on layers of stress within my cptsd, like having children, moving house, dealing with his family, were all things we decided on together.

I hadn't thought of the confidentiality issue before, so thanks for bringing that up.

I find the fact that the provider didn't send the request form, as promised , makes me concerned. I wonder whether they are thinking that I might be wanting to make a complaint. After all, the therapy did cause me huge distress.

I will follow this up next week. I am probably a bit paranoid, but this feeling of distrust of this complicated system will not go away.

Lovely to hear from you both, Hope and Eyessoblue. Hoping that you are both doing OK along this very rocky road.

Libby.

Rainagain

Hi Libby,

I would have thought that the GP practice should ensure your records are complete, it feels like their job not yours.

You might be able to ask the GP secretary to chase up your T, tell them you will make a GP appointment to discuss it if they can't help.

You don't need to pay for a report, you just need the GP practice to keep your notes up to date.

Just my thoughts, might be wrong.

Libby183

Thanks, Rainagain. It seems like a really shoddy way to carry on. Especially when it could affect peoples' lives. Makes me more determined to sort it out. Wish me luck. I reckon I will need it.

BTW, I liked your idea of having two dogs. I can see the appeal of their interactions, and feeling part of a pack.

Libby.

snailspace

Perhaps the protocol is that if you request your records from the therapy provider as a private individual you'll need to pay, whereas if the records are requested by the GP surgery (as Rainagain suggests) it's all part of your NHS treatment.  Just a thought??  I find the whole system a minefield especially with so many fields contracted out, and have often found out how things work by accident almost, listening to others.  Definitely wishing you luck with this one Libby!

Libby183

Thanks snailspace.  It does seem to be a complicated system. I think I was naive to think that different parts of the system worked together. Very naive, in fact, because I was a nurse in the NHS and nothing seemed to ever run smoothly. It will be interesting to see if f I can crack this thing, so to speak!!