Stop Stupidity Act

• 2 Replies

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
Stop Stupidity Act
« on: January 27, 2019, 08:38:30 PM »
(NY Times Sunday, 1/27/2019) 

"I've said repeatedly throughout this process that government shutdowns are a bad idea" said Senator Rob Portmans, Republican of Ohio. "They hurt federal employees and their families, disrupt critical government services and increase the cost to the taxpayers. This shutdown confirmed what we already know about shutdowns. Let's do something about it now while the pain and inefficiency of this moment is fresh in our minds.

Mr Portman has for years sponsored legislation to prevent shutdowns, and he introduced the measure again this month as the government limped along partly closed and federal employees lined up for food assistance and other aid.

Senator Mark Warner, the Virginia Democrat whose state is home to tens of thousands of federal employees and contractors, introduced his own proposal, partly with the idea of shaming his colleagues and the Trump administration into avoiding such confrontations. (The shutdown)

Searching for a bill title that would deliver the message, he and his staff came up with

Stop Shutdowns Transferring Unnecessary Pain and Inflicting Damage in the Coming Years, otherwise known as the Stop Stupidity Act.

In the event of funding showdowns, his approach would be to maintain spending for all but the legislative branch and the White House. 

:doh:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Stupidity Act
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »
Well now that's calling a spade a spade  :yes: 

I don't know how politically astute this is (and don't want to get into the politics of DTs reign), but from a trauma perspective I find it a very 'reassuring' form of backlash to the gaslighting and trauma this US pres and his WH minions have caused so many. 

Hopefully the grown ups will be back governing at some point though. 

BeHea1thy

• View Profile
Re: Stop Stupidity Act
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 11:24:41 PM »
 :grouphug: