Hyperaroused and hypoaroused - are there any better word for that?

Started by salto, February 03, 2019, 03:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salto

Hi! I'm trying to explain the window of tolerance for my friend. But I find hyperaroused and hypoaroused a bit wired to use... Is there a more common language that explain these things in a better way?

Three Roses

Hyperarousal is a mouthful, isn't it. I guess I might use other words for it, like panicky, anxious, on-alert, watchful, "my fight-or-flight kicked in", jazzed, or restless.

Hypoarousal could alternatively be frozen, sluggish, shut-down, numb, empty, or paralyzed.

Hope that's helpful.

salto

Yeah, it's kinda "therapeutic" words. I was searching for pictures of the windows of tolerance and these words were on all the pictures. Your suggestions are great, but it would be nice to have one word that describes those states.

Btw, Three Roses I love your description: "CPTSD is an injury, not an illness."

Kizzie

You could also use heightened or flattened emotions.  It's not one word but it does highlight a range of arousal without being too technical.  :Idunno:

salto

salto

My head is spinning around....:)
Would these words make sense?:

O-zone ----> Over Zone
I-zone ---> Ideal Zone
U-zone ---> Under Zone

Kizzie

I think you need to explain what "zone" refers to Salto. 

What about ideal emotional zone (regulated), heightened emotional zone (dysregulated - overly anxious, panicky, angry) ) and flattened emotional zone (dysregulated - numb, frozen, shut down) ?   :Idunno: