“Oh but why don’t you just live at home?!?!”

Started by LittleBirdy, December 01, 2018, 04:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBirdy

I never know what to say to people when they say "oh but why don't you live at home for a few more years and save money what's the rush?" You all know damn well what the rush is. For my own health and safety living at home is not a good option. Yes, I will have less money but to me a peace of mind knowing I'm safer in my own little place is priceless. I always feel like I never wanna talk about the real reason I'm so antsy to leave and it makes me feel awkward and like I dont know what to say and I feel like they see me as...well I'm not even sure how to put it into words...spoiled..? Foolish..? I don't even know

Three Roses

I think a simple "That's not an option for me" would be enough to shut those questions down. Followed if necessary by, "It's an comfortable subject."

When people ask me questions and they won't take the hint I don't want to discuss it, I start asking them questions instead. Everyone wants to talk about themselves. They usually drop it.

LilyITV

People can be so clueless and self-centered.   It's not just about saving money but freedom to live your life on your own terms.  You can't put a price on that.  I guess when you have "good enough" parents, you take a lot for granted and think everyone is so lucky.

I have been living away from my FOO for decades now and I think it is the main reason why I've been able to break free from the effects of my childhood trauma whereas my brother, who continued to live in the same town as my father even after moving out, still seems to be controlled by my dad. 

ITA agree with Three Roses.  Remember, you don't owe anyone an explanation so be firm.  I would think after dropping the "it's an uncomfortable subject" line 99% of folks would drop the issue.