Started by Katie80, February 11, 2019, 10:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katie80

Hi there,

I don't have a diagnosis, but Pete Walker's book about complex-PTSD has been life changing for my mental health. I have a good support network but can't find a therapist until some health insurance nonsense can be worked out, so for now I thought I would reach out here for additional assistance.

My father has always behaved like a jerk and my mom was verbally abusive to me in the immediate years after their divorce (which happened when I was 9). When I was in high school, my boyfriend died in a car accident and I started having dissociative episodes. Eight months later, I got into a codependent romantic relationship that became abusive over the course of 3.5 years. About 5 years later I got into a romantic relationship with a man who had severe, untreated anxiety issues and a very active outer critic, and over the course of the 8 years we were together our relationship became very toxic. After we'd been together about 6 years we adopted a dog together, but after I left him he informed me he'd be putting her up for adoption (I did not have the means to take care of a pet on my own income, which he knew). This combined with the fact that all our local friends sided with my ex after I left him, plus moving back in with my mother in order to save money, lead to some pretty serious suicidal ideation, dissociation, and nightmares/insomnia, but I got through with the help of Pete Walker's book and my support network.

In November I moved from the east coast to the west coast, and in the last two months my place has been broken-in to, I had a date where the guy became so sexually aggressive I feared for my safety, and one of my best friends back east just had to go to the ER due to self harm. I'm doing the best I can, but it's a bitter slog sometimes and any additional resources would be very welcome.

Three Roses

Hello and welcome to the forum, Katie80.  :heythere:

Not Alone

Welcome. Glad you are adding OOTS to your support network.

Blueberry

Welcome to the forum, Katie  :heythere:

I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time. I hope you find OOTS supportive. There is certainly a lot of information here. I'm glad you've already found Pete Walker's book.

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS Katie.   :heythere:   So sorry to hear you have had such a difficult time, it really can be such a bitter slog sometimes.

I really hope that things improve and you are able to find some support and helpful information here  :yes:

Boatsetsailrose

So glad your hear katie and that you know can start healing ...
Best wishes