Over sharing?

Started by LittleBirdy, February 14, 2019, 04:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleBirdy

I have this relatively new partner, and he is so amazing, so sweet. He has never been abused so I try to avoid talking about my past traumas I just feel like it's IMPOSSIBLE to not talk about it when it's basically always running in the back of my mind. He swears up and down that me talking about it doesn't bother him and he doesn't mind it if it helps me to get it out of my system, I just don't want to over burden him. I have a therapist, and I get all of my darkest thoughts out there, but still. I don't want him to feel drained by me, I've been on the receiving end of these things many times and it's not fun. I hate that this happened, I just wanna go back in time and fix everything so that I wouldn't have this today. But I do and I want him to know what's going on with me but also don't want to have our time together be too negative. Ugh! Help  :fallingbricks:

Three Roses

Imo this would be an excellent thing to bring up to your therapist. The fact that he's relatively new must add to your feelings of trepidation and caution that exist in any relationship. If it were me, I would want to go slow, and let things come up on their own. Best wishes to you in this.

Not Alone

I'm glad you have someone that you feel you can trust. I understand the fear of burdening someone. I feel that with my friends. I'm not sure what you are sharing, but perhaps more general information, for example, "I'm feeling a lot of fear right now," would help you to feel heard and help your partner from being overwhelmed.

LittleBirdy

Thank you!! :) I think sharing general feelings while not getting to specific is a great idea, this way I can let him know what's going on without overwhelming him.