Self Compassion book

Started by Snookiebookie, February 17, 2019, 12:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snookiebookie

I'm keen to develop self compassion. I really think it's the missing piece for me.

The big problem is I just don't know HOW to be self compassionate. I know WHAT it is. I UNDERSTAND how it works and why it's valuable and WHY it works. But I'm so programmed not to be kind to myself.

I've tried Kristen Jeff's book but found it too long and wordy.

Can anyone help recommend a self compassion book (or even an article, blog or website).

I've made lots of progress through therapy (which is coming to an end), but I'm struggling with self esteem due to the internalised voices (mainly my parents). Also I've noticed that I'm comparing myself to others and seeing them as threats.  I really think practicing self compassion would help. I'm keen to start before therapy ends.

Thank you.

SB x  :cheer:

SharpAndBlunt

Hello Snookiebookie,

I was recommended this one by a psychologist.

https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Self-Compassion

Unfortunately for me I only seen the psychologist twice so I couldn't get past the questionnaire in module one which addresses whether you are ready to try it or not. I wasn't.

The reason I recommend to you is because I did the one on assertiveness and I thought it was really good.

Not Alone

:yeahthat: Thanks for that link. I downloaded the file and will try to work through "Building Self-Compassion."

Sceal

Hi, I have also read Kristin Neff's book. And I found it hard to read, and at times boring and other times hard to understand. But when I got to the end I realized I had learned alot. I intend on rereading it.
I hope you will give it another try, going slow was the key for me.

Another thing that has helped me is to learn to talk to myself kindly with simple phrases at first over and over again such as " This has been a hard day, it is okay that I am feeling X", "I did X, and that was really difficult for me. But I did it, I am allowed to be pleased/satisfied with that" (regardless of how X went).
"I have done nothing today, and that is okay. It seems like I needed a day where I didn't do anything."
It took a long time for me to get there. But I did notice a difference, I wasn't feeling quite so down or a fog sort of started to lift..
I still need reminders to do it everyday. And when I am done writing here I will go into my calendar and add a reminder 2 a day to print me to think kind things in regards to me.

Mindfulness is also very helpful for self-compassion.