My Therapist is Retiring

• 4 Replies

I like vanilla

• View Profile
My Therapist is Retiring
« on: February 22, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
So, I found out last appointment (earlier this week) that my therapist is retiring this summer.

At first I was fairly numb about it. But, now the feelings are hitting me and they are unhappy ones - fear, anger, sadness, and a few other related ones. UGH! I am trying to stay in the moment, and practise self-care, but this week I have slid back somewhat, with dissociation, and emotional flashbacks that I have not had in this way for quite some time. I also have a lot of things going on in my life right now (many of them positive), and a number are looking to come to a head this summer... after my therapist retires. UGH!

That is as far as I have gotten with all of this. UGH!

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
Re: My Therapist is Retiring
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »
I'm so sorry! It can be so disheartening, having to face a new therapist. UGH it's right!  :blowup:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
Sorry to hear this I like vanilla - here to listen & support you  :grouphug:

notalone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
Very understandable that you are feeling sad, angry and afraid. That is a big deal to have your therapist announcing his/her retirement. Good for you for trying to stay in the moment and continue your self-care.

Boatsetsailrose

• Hello welcome - so glad I am here and you are too
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:59:41 AM »
Hi i like vanilla
I can understand the emotional distress and EF  this can create. Difficult time for you but there is time to work through and stabilise.  I finished working with my t last year and it finished earlier than expected due to her leaving and changing job. I felt shocked, feelings of 'I'm being left again ' and frightened . we had opened up some good work and bam now we were working on detaching. I went into EF badly and struggled but it did pass. In fact what happened was i was given a prime opportunity to use the tools I'd learnt and see how i could help myself to regulate (the whole point of the therapy sessions).
For me it was important to know how many sessions were left and what work we were going to do to seal the areas we had been working on , reflect and discuss the work we had done. She also added in sessions around what i will 'take with me and this gave me a good chance to really think about what had helped me and what felt integrated in me re tools/processes.
The area that was difficult for me was 'id built up.trust and opened up massively to a female and now she was going '. I don't trust females easily and so this was a big deal. but vanilla i did get through and worked to detach and when the day came to say goodbye it was sad but it was OK i felt.more adult than when id walked into her room 10mths previously . ..