How to manage the exhaustion?

Started by safetyinnumbers, February 24, 2019, 05:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

safetyinnumbers

I understand why I am exhausted so much of the time. It's really hard to manage it though. I have a family and a job that need my energy but I'm worn out by lunch time and need to go to bed to sleep.
It's depressing being so exhausted all the time.
How do you manage it?

Three Roses

I've tried to be consistent taking vitamins, and feel better when I take them consistently but I seem to always slack off. Managing the amount of stress in my life is also crucial, and getting enough sleep. Talking here helps, too.  :hug:

LearnToLoveTheRide

Hi safetyinnumbers

Just as you understand why you are exhausted all the time, you might find it useful trying to understand what it takes to NOT be exhausted all the time: it's something you have to concentrate on all the time. It's as simple as balancing what gets taken out of you all the time, with what you put in. I said simple, but not EASY.

Having enough energy to get you through your chores and your day is just one aspect of a healthy lifestyle. Look to every aspect of your lifestyle and see if - and how - it needs fixing.

I'd be happy to help in any way... LTLTR

Dee

Have you ever explored a medical explanation?  I ignored my symptoms, blaming CPTSD then a medical issues accidentally was revealed in blood test.  It is at least worth talking to your doctor about.

Kizzie

:yeahthat:  Dee just found out she has more genetic/physical issues than she realized so it might be an idea to let your GP know you're exhausted and that you have experienced trauma. We do have some forms here you could complete/take with you so that s/he has a better idea of your symptoms and trauma history. 

Trauma takes a lot of energy, especially in the beginning stages of recovery.  I know it's hard when you're a partner, parent, working, etc., but are there any areas you could cut out or down on in your life to make room for more rest and recharge time?

Therapy, posting here, going to a F2F group are also good ways to release some of the energy trauma takes to suppress/shove down. 

Blueberry

Quote from: Kizzie on February 25, 2019, 07:18:33 PM
:yeahthat:  Dee just found out she has more genetic/physical issues than she realized so it might be an idea to let your GP know you're exhausted and that you have experienced trauma. ...

:yeahthat:

I have an underfunctioning thyroid which adds to my exhaustion if I don't take my meds.  A simple iron deficiency can also cause tiredness, in addition to all that caused by cptsd. In the beginning of my healing journey, my body didn't absorb nutrients very well (in my case a psychosomatic problem rather than purely physical) so that added to the tiredness.

Quote from: Kizzie on February 25, 2019, 07:18:33 PM
Trauma takes a lot of energy, especially in the beginning stages of recovery. 
:yeahthat:

Acceptance of this lack of energy for other things in life, acceptance that I have cptsd rather than fighting against it and wondering ad nauseam "Why am I so strange? Why don't I have energy like other people my own age?" helps retain some energy for more useful pursuits. I still struggle with this though. I don't know if you do. If you don't, congratulations and please ignore this.

safetyinnumbers

Thank you for your replies.
I have an understanding GP who has run a battery of blood tests and I'm technically quite healthy if you look at bloodwork.
According to the clock I'm getting "normal" amounts of sleep but when my nights are full of unpleasant dreams and nightmares night after night I am already tired when I get up in the morning.
What do you mean by other aspects of a healthy lifestyle LTLTR? Do you mean diet exercise etc?
I go to the gym twice a week and I feel so worn out afterwards that I usually need to sleep in the afternoon to make it through the day. I eat healthy food, just a bit more than I should.

Blueberry

Hello safetyinnumbers,

It sounds as if it's all down to cptsd pure in your case. It's good that your GP is so understanding!

Nightmares will not contribute to restful sleeping so it's no wonder you wake up tired.

fwiw I had to stop doing even 'normal' things like exercising when I first got really ill about 20 years ago. I was too exhausted to even do yoga. Not that any of my carers knew about cptsd then.

My own thoughts contribute to my exhaustion. Do you have Pete Walker's book? You can find excerpts online if you can't buy it. His explanations of the Inner Critic (ICr here on OOTS) and what to do about it might help you. I don't know your story but if you have childhood-onset cptsd then your expectations of yourself might be very high and these could be one cause of exhaustion. 

Healing from cptsd or just aspects of it takes time, step by little step. ime it can take a while for my answers to my questions to make themselves known to me. Not everybody reacts the same way or for the same reasons. I wish I could write something more helpful rn.

Boatsetsailrose

Hi safety in numbers..
I really hear you on this... Its been my experience too..
I'm keeping a EF diary and keeping an eye on my energy levels in line with this.. When I'm in EF I go into flight and get busy don't sleep enough.. When I come out I'm exhausted and need ample sleep to regain balance...
A lot of my tiredness I've put down to cptsd and also thinking do I have auto immune problem do I have ME do I have.....
I see mine now in 2 categories physical tiredness and emotional tiredness..
The emotional as described above plus high anxiety generally which is tiring..
Also I am working with a Chinese medicine practioner and she did a thorough assessment and part of that was remembering I havent had the same energy levels since a bad virus years ago.. She wrote me a prescription of various high quality herbs and I def feel less fundamentally tired.
You mention poor sleep too... Poor sleep quality is a major factor to work with I would say... Have u explored solutions in this area?