Glad i am here

Started by johnram, March 23, 2019, 10:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

Hi all,

New here, and glad i have joined. I have been on a complicated journey and trying to "fix" myself for years, with i think a bit too much time lost in unhelpful therapy.

I dont want to go through my story story, but for context i suffer cPTSD, which has gotten better, mostly through my own actions, however i have finally taken some time away from work to try and deal with it properly, but think i will have to go back sooner than i wanted given i think the EMDR will take much longer given an addiction that needs addressed also. I am quite confused as to what i do long term though, as i think a career change and more life focus is in order, as i want to live happier as i have lived depressed, lonely and avoidant for far too long.

Anyway, i am glad i am here, and look forward to engaging with others

Cheers

Three Roses

Not Alone

johnram

Boatsetsailrose

Hi johnram
I hear you and have had similar story of lots of action to heal, addiction issues ( now free of them all via 12 steps and a journey with '

Boatsetsailrose

Quote '
I am quite confused as to what i do long term though, as i think a career change and more life focus is in order, as i want to live happier as i have lived depressed, lonely and avoidant for far too long'

Yep that's been my experience ...it was and continues to be a process. I thankfully don't have to currently work (disability benefits for cptsd) and have time and space to explore what i 'really want to do '.
I see now that my last career i chose as a result of conditioning - i was a nurse.
Now i want to do something creative maybe hairdressing or something like charity / advocacy work. What ever i decide i want limited stress. 

Things that could be helpful for you are seeing a career coach - some charities in the UK do this.  Get some paper and list the things that float your boat in terms of your personality / passions.
The internet has some personality and work type quizzes .
For me at age 45 it doesn't feel like i want to take on too much training etc I've done all that and worked hard. I just want a simple easier life now with a more regulated nervous system