The power of exercise / movement - experiences?

Started by johnram, March 24, 2019, 11:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

When i get down, and particularly if it starts to go on for a while, i have found the best cure is movement.  I wish i had known this when i was in deeper depression, and when other times were rough but glad to know it now. 

I post this, as i am keen to hear how movement / exercise has benefited others in their respective journeys? in what manner and maybe how its become part of life - as i look to do the same

thank you kindly

LilyITV

Before I found out about C-PTSD, I discovered that exercise was a great way to improve my mood.  Exercise was especially great during those times where I felt my problems were overwhelming.   It's probably the best thing for controlling my anxiety.  Everything seems to be so much clearer after I work up a sweat.  Running is the best for me because when I run I'm able to focus on things other than my problems and enjoy the beauty of the outdoors or my music. 

There have been times in my life where I exercise just to get the boost in mood, rather than to lose/maintain weight. 

Boatsetsailrose

Hi John ram
Great Post and great topic..
Somatic healing is such a key area for cptsd I think with all the body armouring that goes on (physical tension) and stuck emotion /trauma held with in us...
Bessa von de klok talks about this

I started body work about 3 years ago.. I was having supervision through work with a dance therapist and we used movement to help me get into my body and open /feel..
I then did some 1-1 and group work with a women who worked with trauma in the body and I learnt how to ground the body, to be in my body more and also had the space to dance, move and express... It was wonderful (she used a technique called open floor).
I then went on to join a walking and hiking group and have been doing that for 4 years.. Going out to roam the land with other people has been and continues to be so healing...
At home I do stretching and now go to a wkly pilates class.. This all helps with physical tension I so easily store in my muscles... A mthly thai massage really helps too.. I use a foam roller at home which I highly recommend.. It is about 3.5 foot long and 0.5 wide and is made of dense foam. The body is rolled up and down on it and it is wonderful for relieving physical tension.
Lately I've put the hiking on a back burner and am using free flow, loosely facilitated healing dance groups  as my therapy. I absolutely love it and get so many inner experiences from it. I find it incredible how intelligent the body is and how when it is moved and expressed it feels joy and opens. Similarly pain has a chance to come through and be expressed and that is as welcome too. It all can happen in the dance. I feel freer and more expansive since doing these classes.

Also to add when I've been through hard times in recovery and the cptsd has taken me to dark places the last thing I've felt is  to move. Yet I've still had the awareness that is what I need to do. During these times just simply sitting up can be a good step, simple simple stretching and a gentle walk around the block...
Where ever any of us are at movement heals even if that is just hugging something comforting....

johnram

I love your experience, as i can relate to it quite fully.
Having found the power of hiking, the foam roller, getting out my head and into my body as wonderful.
I need to up my meditative / mindfulness practises, as i feel a lack in that regard, but a work in progress

At the moment, things have been releasingg for me, i cry and relate to others stories more, i feel like things are coming out of me, its been a long time coming though

movement is my medicine, but i need to do more
its so empowering

wishing you well