Service Dog for CPTSD

Started by Ghost, October 06, 2023, 04:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

I've been working towards getting a service dog for CPTSD and other health issues.

A year or two ago I got a puppy to train to be my service dog but it did not work out. I had never had a puppy. My family always adopted older dogs but one of the big messages about training your own service dog is to get a puppy, for the bonding and to have as much time with that service dog as possible.

Well, I can not have a puppy. Every reason that I need a service dog is the reason I can not have a puppy. Keeping her in a kennel or pen was traumatic for me. She played way too rough and my disabilities made it so hard to handle or take care of her. Also, the trainer that I was working with was very inattentive and pushy.
So we took her back to the breeder and she was adopted by a family who ran a vet office and she was trained to be a therapy dog at that office.

I'm trying again, this time with an older dog and I have a better trainer who understands my disabilities and struggles and I feel comfortable communicating with them.

Does anyone here have a service dog? For PTSD or other issues (if you feel comfortable sharing)
🐾