Dreams/nightmares...despite making progress

Started by Snookiebookie, March 27, 2019, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snookiebookie

Hey all

I usually suffer EF, probably one of my worse symptoms.  I also ruminate a lot about my past. 

My trauma had been caused by many people in my life.   Most of the trauma causing factors have been eliminated though. The only thing that can cause me issues is my teenage daughter (which is partly to be expected, and I'm learning to manage her).

I've had bad dreams but not many. They usually aren't re-experiencing trauma, but have similar themes and emotions attached to them. So they'll usually be about someone disapproving of me, shaming me, leaving me and abandonment. All those horrible feelings that the trauma have left  me with.

As I've said, I've had these dreams sporadically in my life. But for the last three nights I've had quite intense dreams triggering with strong negative emotions. I've woken up very upset or in tears.

I've made so much progress over the last three years. Is it possible that as I'm recovering the trauma is trying to draw me back in?

How do I deal with these dreams?

Thanks

SB

Rainagain

Hi
I think if you can hang on they will subside again, at least that is my experience.

I've realised my nightmares are worse when I'm extra stressed, and that they aren't about the current stress, they cue into the past trauma.

I'm hoping yours will taper off soon too.

Kizzie

QuoteIs it possible that as I'm recovering the trauma is trying to draw me back in?

Could it be that you are ready to deal with more?  :Idunno:

Lillian

I wish I had an answer for you. I have experienced these dreams for more than a decade, especially ones where people I love either die or abandon me or stop caring. Most recently, I've been having dreams that I am stuck either living or visiting with my FOO and I can't leave (ex: I keep missing my flight and/or I have too much stuff with me and I can't manage to move all of it).
I hope it gets better for you  :hug:

Kizzie

How are you doing re having more intense dreams Snookie?

Tee

I only get 3-4 hours of sleep a night cause this is when my brain likes to give me flashbacks and night mares.  When I can't actively deflect and so them. 

I hope you made some progress and they subsided for you.  I agree with Kizzie sometimes it means there's a new layer your brain is trying to tell you your ready to deal with.

Hope they have tapered off and you have gotten some rest.