Arrested Development reminds me of my own family!

Started by Oscen, March 29, 2019, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscen

I have been watching the latest series of Arrested Development, which I love, but it is such a different experience from watching the earlier series a few years ago, when I had no understanding that my family was completely dysfunctional!

I remember when I was introduced to the show over a decade ago, back when I thought that my FOO was perfectly hunky-dory. And my favourite character was the mother, Lucille Bluth, because I found her so savagely funny, but so real. I was baffled that she reminded me of my own mother, because she was awful, but my mother was a good mother... right? I mean, she told me so herself, so....  ???

Fast forward a few years, and I figured out that my FOO is dysfunctional, though unfortunately nowhere near as entertaining (or rich) as the Bluths. I think it was the eye-rolls, and the cutting, invalidating comments intended to decimate any residual self-confidence that Lucille and my mother have in common. Oh, and the ever-present glass of booze in hand. I never even used to notice that my mother literally rolls her eyes at me in the middle of conversation. Just felt awful for hours, sometimes days, after a Skype call with her.

Now, watching the "healthy" character Michael descend to the same level as his mother by trying to use her own schemes and manipulations is walking that fine line between humour and pain. And of course, he never wins, never beats her at her own game, because she has had longer to hone her skills.

It's funny but a good reminder; never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it. The only way forward for me is to tap out and climb out of the ring.

Three Roses

Quote... never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it....

Never heard that one before! :rofl: