Birthday today

• 8 Replies

Elphanigh

• View Profile
Birthday today
« on: April 04, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
So I turn 25 today and I am trying to enjoy it. Honestly I do not feel much like celebrating. People are being kind, my coworkers had a cute card and some delicious cupcakes. Even had a candle for me to blow out  ;D

I opened my gift from my family, and it was a few things that I absolutely adore. Truly thoughtful and precious.

Yet, here I am unable to really celebrate the birthday. I know part of me feels 25 is old and like I have not done enough with my life by this point, but I also know that is an inner critic lie. I work most of my day but can relax and enjoy tonight so maybe that will help.

For now trying to think of it as celebrating the progress of the last year and maybe get past my feelings of dread.

woodsgnome

• I did not wish to live what was not life
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 03:34:03 PM »
If celebrating isn't the word, maybe honoring all you've done that fits into the category of progress. So here's a salute for your continued growth and good vibes as you continue to step forward.

Congrats  :applause: and best always  :hug:

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
I'm glad you're here - you add so much to this forum. With that in mind, it is a happy occasion that you were born.

I remember feeling quite old when I turned 25. At 62, my outlook has changed and I see that you are very young, just getting started in life, yet wise beyond your years.

Elphanigh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 03:51:59 PM »
Woodsgnome, honoring is a much better word. Thank  you  :hug: :hug:

Three Roses, I really appreciate the kind words  :hug: :hug: I am always glad to be here, and glad to have some wisdom beyond my years. 25 does feel old, although I am really glad that there is perspective down the road. I am trying to listen to people that say that, it is just odd. I am sure I will get over it but for the moment it feels old. Grateful I made it this far, maybe that is what I need to be reminding myself of? hmmm

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
What you feel is what you feel Elph and there are always good reasons for that b/c of trauma.  That said, I do hope tonight you will be able to relax a bit and celebrate the day of your birth and how far you have come in recovery.   :grouphug:

Elphanigh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 06:04:05 PM »
Thank you Kizzie,  it is validating to hear that tbh. I have been trying to make myself feel one way or another all day. I normally at least enjoy my birthday's this one is just different. Too much going on and attached to it I guess.

I do intend to relax tonight and at least allow myself to enjoy the night, if not the occasion itself. I do get to enjoy some company tomorrow night that is intended as a birthday celebration for all of us (we all have birthdays in a two week span) so that should be nice.

Hope67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 06:45:42 PM »
Wishing you all the best for your Birthday today, Elpha.   :hug:
Hope  :)

Blueberry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 07:32:34 PM »
What you feel is what you feel Elph and there are always good reasons for that b/c of trauma.  That said, I do hope tonight you will be able to relax a bit and celebrate the day of your birth and how far you have come in recovery.   :grouphug:

:yeahthat:  and I like the word "honouring" for birthdays as well.  :hug: to you Elpha

Elphanigh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 08:13:53 PM »
Thank you both   :grouphug: