NPD and Munchhausen by Proxy

Started by Kizzie, April 04, 2019, 05:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizzie

I have been watching a show called The Act which is about a real life incidence of Munchhausen by Proxy.  (Trigger warnings if you choose to watch it or look up anything about it.) 

Although It was an extreme case of MBP as I watched I was disturbed to find myself relating to what the daughter went through. My abuse by a M w/NPD was not as extreme, but similar enough that I now think NPD and MBP are likely related.  The M in The Act invaded her daughter's space, psychologically and physically, and manipulated and held her captive with what appeared to be devoted mothering. In reality it was fear, obligation and guilt (FOG) much like my M. 

For me The Act portrays so clearly the damage the "best mother ever" act  inflicts and how NPD/MBP parents deeply traumatize their children despite how they appear on the surface.  The show is also a striking and very disturbing example of how covert (but very damaging) abuse can be cloaked from everyone including professionals.  There is an interview in the show with a physician who treated the daughter and caught on to what the M was doing but b/c there was so much support for the M and D from the medical and larger community (M was VERY convincing) he did not do anything for fear he would not be believed.  And therein lies the problem with a lack of awareness about more covert forms of abuse/neglect - we're afraid we will not be believed if we speak up b/c often we are not.