cPTSD is not a mental illness (??)

Started by johnram, April 07, 2019, 04:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

I listened to a podcast with the above title recently and i really liked it, it explained, how through researching and understanding our cPTSD (and i think PTSD too), we may come to think we have depression, anxiety, other problems....

We own this stuff, but in essense it isnt us, but has become us....which differs to a lot of other mental health problems

i felt it had a lot of truth for me, as i spent years treating depression, treating addiction, treating lack of assertiveness etc etc and doing courses, and books......but now understanding trauma and cPTSD, has been a load off, and makes me feel at ease somewhat

i think i am rambling, but thought i would share to see if it made sense to others

I havent posted the link, as i forget the rules for posting such items

thanks

Rainagain

'It isn't us' sounds about right.

Cptsd is a disorder arising from interpersonal trauma I think, so it doesn't happen without cause, and the cause is outside of us.

Needs remembering to fend off self blame.

Tee

Thank you both for sharing. It's hard to quite those inner critic. :'(

Rainagain

I find it hard to put the blame squarely where it belongs, too easy to blame myself as that is the narrative being put about.

mikenoodle

I don't think that we blame ourselves as much as it is the fact that we were conditioned to accept responsibility, oftentimes even when it is not our fault st all.

Kizzie

You're so right Johnram - IT ISN'T US! Shouting b/c it's such an important message for us and those we deal with - CPTSD is really all about injuries inflicted on us at the hands of others.  :yes:

You are welcome to post the link by the way.

johnram

Revisiting my old post
needed to be reminded of this just now

Kizzie

So sorry to hear this John.  There's a book you might want to consider reading by Dr. Christine Courtois titled "It's Not You, It's What Happened to You". It really helped shift my thinking & feeling because she points readers back to the science behind trauma responses, and away from the personal weaknesses we and others, professionals included, think we're 'guilty' of.   

https://www.amazon.ca/Its-Not-You-What-Happened/dp/1941536557.

Good one to have on the nightstand for if/when your thoughts start getting the better of you.

I hope you're able to give yourself the kindness and compassion you deserve, certainly I'm sending some along to you.

johnram

Thank you Kizzie
i have added it to my book list - it looks like i bought it before, but i dont recall (that happens often with me - too many unread books)

If i may recommend also - i read something similar by Dr Bruce Perry - called "what happened to you".
Note it has Oprah in dialogue with Bruce but its very good re trauma, and has some great stories

Kizzie

I've meant to buy that one and keep forgetting so thanks for the reminder  :thumbup:

They are both very well known so imagine the fact that survivors develop developmental trauma/CPTSD in response to our abuse/neglect got a LOT of coverage and uptake.  Let's hope so.  Survivors need to hear the message as do professionals, families, the public, etc.   

AnnaMaria

The experience of CPTSD symptoms is a *normal* response to *abnormal* events.
It is only when we are out of the danger zone and living our lives free from abuse that we are seen as having *abnormal* responses to *normal* events.

The abuse is the issue, not us.

It is not normal or healthy for people to abuse others.

Your brain has done the best job it knows how to keep you safe.  Because the trauma was so intense and pervasive your brain now believes that it has to protect you from all of these external threats, even if they are no longer present.

Another couple of podcasts you may find helpful are:
- conversations with Carolyn Spring
- Trauma Rewired

Lakelynn

Quote from: AnnaMaria on December 12, 2023, 10:05:16 AMThe experience of CPTSD symptoms is a *normal* response to *abnormal* events.
It is only when we are out of the danger zone and living our lives free from abuse that we are seen as having *abnormal* responses to *normal* events.

The abuse is the issue, not us.

It is not normal or healthy for people to abuse others.

This puts it so plainly. Thank you.

Kizzie

storyworld

I like and appreciate this perspective. I'd love to listen to the podcast. Are you able to and comfortable with sharing a link to the content?

Little2Nothing

I have come to believe my cptsd is an injury brought on by abuse. Others did this to me.