Medication?

Started by owl25, September 12, 2020, 11:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owl25

I have been on anti-depressants in the past. When things got really bad and I pretty much had a break down, I was prescribed Ativan. This was a long time ago. These days I am not in the depths of depression, but I do experience a lot of anxiety. The anxiety is always because of a trigger. This makes me think my anxiety is really a flashback. When I come out of it, I can feel grounded and am able to enjoy the good parts of my life.

I am constantly being triggered and I have not been able to get a grip on this. I have not needed an anti-depressant for a number of years now, something I have been happy with. I don't experience panic attacks, I had those for a brief period years ago, so I know what those are like and that's not what's happening. But, I am starting to wonder if I need to consider medication for the anxiety when triggered. It really is affecting my life. I cannot self-soothe.

I don't really want to be taking any kind of medication, but I don't know what to do instead. Recommendations for breathing, meditation, mindfulness don't help. I can't do those things. I also can't do exercise. I can't. There's a part of me that flat out refuses to do any of these things.

Any thoughts on this? Are people taking medication to help manage anxiety that is the result of being triggered?

Blueberry

Quote from: owl25 on September 12, 2020, 11:58:32 PM
Recommendations for breathing, meditation, mindfulness don't help. I can't do those things. I also can't do exercise. I can't. There's a part of me that flat out refuses to do any of these things.

Hello owl,

Just want to say how much I resonate with the above part of your post. I actually can do meditation and mindfulness in certain ways but breathing is very difficult; it tends to bring up even more out of the depths which is not at all what I need in an EF. As for exercise, pretty much flat out refusal unless it's something like I'm cycling or walking some errand or to visit a friend. But exercising for the sake of it?? :no: Or exercising in any kind of competitive and/or regular way? :no: So I'm just validating what can be difficult statements to make.

Quote from: owl25 on September 12, 2020, 11:58:32 PM
I cannot self-soothe.

Any thoughts on this? Are people taking medication to help manage anxiety that is the result of being triggered?

I can actually self-soothe in a healthy way, sometimes, but it has taken me a long time to get this far. Sometimes it doesn't work when it's an Inner Child where I have no idea what to do or say. I can't remember if you have a T or not. If you do, self-soothing could be a topic for therapy? At least with a T who knows that learning one self-soothing method in one session is probably not going to be enough. For me, I've gradually got better in all sorts of different areas: self-soothing, sitting with feelings... as a result of long-term therapy and healing.

Idk much about medication. My biggest problem is depression, not anxiety, but also a result of being triggered. So I'd say  :yes: to Are people taking medication to help manage anxiety depression that is the result of being triggered? I hope some of what I've written might help you.

owl25

Thanks blueberry. I don't have a proper trauma T right now. I feel so hopeless.

I know this is all coming from a younger part of me. I have no idea how to help this part. This keeps coming back over and over. It's been like this for years. I don't want to keep suffering like this, but I really do not know what to do to change it.

Blueberry

sanmagic7

i have an appt. w/ a shrink later this month.  hoping for xanax, as that tends to stabilize my mind when i get shaky or my body vibrates, but docs don't like to prescribe it ciz it's addicting.  well, i've been taking it for at least 10 years, to help me sleep, never went over the prescribed dosage, and it's only been lately with my t's knowledge that i've actually upped the dose during the day when feeling extremely anxious.  she also is thinking i may need some meds to help me with nightmares.  we'll see.

i've been on anti-deps in the past, but don't feel depressed now, and my t doesn't believe i am, either - simply tired and overwhelmed.  i'm told that i nurse practitioner who specializes in the mental health field can prescribe meds for you, especially since you can't find a trauma t.  i talked to one several months ago, but she was really against continuing me on xanax, put me on an anti-dep instead, with disastrous results, so i quit it in 3 days.  it's tricky out there to get your needs met, but may i encourage you to look to a gp or nurse practitioner for help until you can find a t who will meet your needs.  they may also have better resources as far as finding one for you.

in the meantime, we're here, we've got you.  hang tough, ok?  love and hugs, my dear :hug:

JakobBolu

Sending positive vibes  :grouphug: