Therapist said CPTSD isn’t real

Started by truus, April 12, 2019, 04:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

truus

I'm trying to find a therapist.

I contacted one and asked them if they have experience working with Complex PTSD/CPTSD. They responded that they didn't know what I meant because CPTSD "doesn't actually qualify as a diagnosis."

Feeling very invalidated and concerned. A doctor diagnosed me already, so I know she's wrong.

woodsgnome

That is inexplicable, and yes, very invalidating. The person you describe seems to lack any sense of what should be the first quality of anyone claiming to be a therapist -- that quality being listening. There's really no excuse, given all the info that is now coming to surface about cptsd; it seems more therapists are getting that message, but apparently these folks are stuck in their smug ignorance of this.

But here's the good sign -- you were discerning enough not to fall for whatever game they were up to. Which still leaves you in a hole but at least you showed some self-worth in your response. Still hoping you can find a way forward with this.  :hug:

truus

Thank you, it is good to have this community and reminder that the diagnosis is valid.

Kizzie

It's a common (and very discouraging) problem unfortunately b/c Complex PTSD is not yet in the main diagnostic manual used in North America (the APA's DSM), and only recently was included in the one used in Europe and elsewhere (the WHO's ICD). This despite the fact that it was identified in 1992 and is used by many well known traumatologists both researchers and clinicians.   (For info about this see ISTSS Guidelines Position Paper on Complex PTSD in Adults..

There are T's who do know about CPTSD though so I would encourage you to keep looking.   :yes: 

johnram

Maybe look into T's who are trauma focused?

Rainagain

Truus,
Dont feel invalidated by that rubbish response, think 'I will take that as a 'no' then' and look for someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

It's on them and not your concern if they are ignorant.