Pete Walkers book - wonderful / thank you

Started by johnram, April 13, 2019, 08:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

Just a thank you to those that have recommended Pete Walkers Complex PTSD book - surviving to thriving

I bought it actually in December, but as i was focusing on my EMDR and some other stuff, i put it away (likely to be binned).

Starting on these forums, i saw it mentioned a few times and picked it back up....upto page 70 - have never related to a book as strongly as it, it explains so well my struggles and issues, and i have felt tearful many a time just reading its insight....and then cried doing a few of the exercises

anyway, a strong recommendation from me, but also a big thank you to those that have mentioned it

Not Alone

I also heard about the book on this site. The first time that I attempted to read it, I was toward the end and realized that I was just plowing through because I was either dissociated when I read it, or ironically, mentally beating myself up. I put it away for a while. The second time through, I am able to be more focused and a little more kind to myself when I read something that either I don't understand, or that seems a million miles further down my therapy journey. One of the most helpful things has been his list of what to do when you are in a flashback. I am now on chapter 12.

Kizzie

It's a great book primarily b/c he knows CPTSD as both a survivor and a T.  I found I had to read (and reread) it in small chunks, otherwise it was too overwhelming. 

He also has a web site here and has been a guest writer for the OOTS blog Part 1 here,  and Part 2 here.

johnram

That is cool, didnt realise he was linked to OOTS

woodsgnome

I also had a bit of a wild ride with Walker's book.

Along the lines of what notalone mentioned, I found myself "either dissociated when I read it, or ironically, mentally beating myself up." Yeah, that sort of contrast on both ends I found disorienting. That seems to happen with a lot of other reads along these lines, where I start wandering off because the writing is getting very personal --in a negative sense -- and when I try to pick up the thread I'd blame myself for being so vulnerable. And/or I try to concentrate so hard on the words because I'm scared I might miss something important; and then I do anyway.  :aaauuugh:

Reading like this, I noticed I readily took in all the negative traits he describes, entirely missing his counter-arguments that indeed, some of these traits needn't be taken as proof of how bad cptsd is, but how certain aspects can 1) have a positive side (e.g. 'freeze' types can be very attentive/mindful, etc.); and 2) can be worked with and improved, if not always cured.

This is probably true for many reads of this sort, but I found what I thought would be another 'hopeless me' sort of book to be a great all-around package to have in one's toolkit while seeking for ways through the many twists this cptsd ride can take.

johnram

after that, i am a little bit scared, but in a good way
clearly it has an impact

thank you and glad it struck a chord too

Oscen

I didn't know Pete Walker had guest blogged, thanks for the links Kizzie.

I've found the book really helpful too; the first time I recognised my issues for what they were. I only read it about 6 months ago, but it's already been hugely helpful.

irishrebel

i bought his audiobooks too so i can listen when im out walking as my mind wanders when im reading

Kizzie

That's right, his books are out in audio book form now.  Hope you find them helpful IrishRebel.   :yes:

Three Roses

Although I totally understand how overwhelming reading this book can be for some, for me it was the opposite - totally validating, comforting, informative - I devoted it so quickly I knew I'd have to read it again to absorb more of it. It sits on my nightstand now for quick reference, and I've made an index of my own in the back of the book for quick reference to the sections I need most often.