I Ching

Started by Oscen, April 14, 2019, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscen

Hey there guys, one thing I like to use to soothe myself is certain divination tools, like tarot cards, or the I Ching.
I don't like astrology so much; it seems less personalised to me, at least, if you're just looking at the horoscopes in the paper. I still read them though!

I was always a fairly sceptical, scientifically minded person, but recently, I've been more interested in the spiritual and mystical.
I don't know how much I should believe a tarot or an I Ching reading, but I do derive a certain amount of comfort from them.
I think it is quite soothing, to draw a card, or to do an online I Ching reading (doing the reading with little sticks looks fabulous, but I haven't learnt that yet!).
I like the way it is open to my own interpretation. It makes me more aware of my state of mind - am I feeling positive or negative today? And it reveals my attitude towards the topics more - was I really hoping this plan would go well, without a hitch? Am I disappointed that it seems to be unfavourable towards my new interest? etc.

And I think that I've grown up feeling like the universe is hostile towards me, or at least, uninterested in me. I used to believe in God, but it's not really me now.
Doing these readings makes me feel like I'm connecting again with the universe and I can believe it is paying attention to me by communicating with me; it is not just all random misfortune coming my way. I feel more like the universe is positive and has a purpose. Even if it's nonsense, it's still an important feeling to cultivate within myself. For me, it's a fun spiritual placebo, but I am open-minded if it is more than that for some people, and I don't mind if others are sceptical either.

I did an I Ching reading today and got hexagram 55 - Abundance. When I delved into the meaning deeply, it really seemed to address my concerns.
It was nice. And I know I'm surrounded by abundance, so it was a good reminder to live from that place of "enoughness".

the mirliton

hello Oscen,
I have never "I Ching'ed" however I too turn to various spiritual outlets to try and make sense of a life that has not! I guess I use it (them) as self-soothing because unfortunately when my overthinking relentless thoughts gain momentum darkness/pain and sadness engulf me. I have several oracle decks that I choose a card from. Sacred Traveler, Healing With the Angels or a Druid Animal Oracle Deck.  When I do decide to pull a card (or cards) it seems to open the gateway to noticing (mindfulness?) any thing that happens or that I encounter that validates the cards message. It certainly helps me to approach my day/life with a brighter mindset, otherwise it can quickly sink into a mind bog cesspool.
In the city where I live there is a beautiful wood inlaid Labyrinth that the cathedral opens up once a month for the community to walk it. They light candles and play gregorian type of quiet music and it is a extremely personal and peaceful time, or not, as unfortunately I have gone to walk it and wound up sniffling (quiet crying?) as I walk. The cool thing is it is not a maze just a circle. I also feel gratitude to live in a beautiful forest with many lovely birds and squirrels who also touch my soul...as well as my pocketbook since they EXPECT sunflower seeds and unsalted peanuts if they see me. :) On that note I am going to check out I Ching and I also think it's great when we can find comfort in the mystical and magical that surrounds us.

Oscen

Hi mirliton, thanks for your post. I have the Doreen Virtue angels tarot deck, it's just beautiful. I'll check out her Healing With the Angels one. Her beautiful colours and images are so good for the soul!

The places that you describe sound absolutely magical - a cathedral with a labyrinth and a woodland full of friendly animals! How wonderful.

Do give the I Ching a try if you're tempted - I love that the philosophy is very Eastern; it is related to the Dao. It gives a lovely fresh angle, to me as a Westerner, anyway. I find I Ching works very well when I don't know what question I want to ask - I just say "What do I need to know/consider right now?". It always gives me something to ponder.

LearnToLoveTheRide

Hi Oscen

I really enjoy the I Ching. But, I also do not use it as a divination tool, rather as a mindfulness tool. If I'm feeling anxious about something I do an I Ching reading and it generally helps me focus on the issue at hand and invariably provides me with options I probably wouldn't have thought about.

Take care... LTLTR