Suicide awareness and administrators being awful

• 5 Replies

Perry1216

• View Profile
Suicide awareness and administrators being awful
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
So I had the suicide awareness prevention training yesterday which swallowed me into a black hole.

Then my own triggers are there from the current administration doing a bunch of hostile toxic things like in my previous job. My previous job is where I was hunted by a sociopath.

Deep Blue

• View Profile
Re: Suicide awareness and administrators being awful
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »
Hey Perry,
Iím not in a good enough head space to say everything I want to right now but I will try.

I did the suicide prevention training last year.  I was able to detach from my presenters and that helped me.  I needed to practice mindfulness and in the present.

Iím already a member of 2 suicide prevention groups.  Itís a greater good thing for me.  I have a need to help others cuz no one helped me when I was on their shoes. 

Itís tough but try to remind yourself what you have now... whatís happening now... not a couple years ago... we are here in the meantime  :grouphug:

Perry1216

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:48:46 PM »
Hey Perry,
Iím not in a good enough head space to say everything I want to right now but I will try.

I did the suicide prevention training last year.  I was able to detach from my presenters and that helped me.  I needed to practice mindfulness and in the present.

Iím already a member of 2 suicide prevention groups.  Itís a greater good thing for me.  I have a need to help others cuz no one helped me when I was on their shoes. 

Itís tough but try to remind yourself what you have now... whatís happening now... not a couple years ago... we are here in the meantime  :grouphug:

But how do I know I shouldnít run already and get another job or leave teaching entirely?

I got caught in the last job by the sociopath trying to punish the union. This job now has a lot going on and the superintendent threatened to drag everyone through the mud.

I wish I hadnít gone to that other place and gotten eviscerated.

However, maybe thatís not happening here... yet. Or maybe ever?

I donít want to get caught again.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 04:49:04 PM »
It may not be the same situation as having a sociopath stalk and abuse you, but if it's a toxic work environment it's understandable that you're having a really difficult time. Toxic work environments are more widely recognized nowadays as causing traumatic stress  and institutions generally have some policy in place to deal with it. 

Is there anyone in the union/HR you can talk to, lodge a complaint, get some help?  If you're going thru this I would imagine your colleagues are too; together you may have a stronger voice to incite change.

Also, do you have a therapist you can talk to about this?  I can only imagine how triggered you are so being able to talk F2F with a T may help to see what is/is not happening in the current situation you're dealing with and bring your anxiety down a bit.   

Perry1216

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
It may not be the same situation as having a sociopath stalk and abuse you, but if it's a toxic work environment it's understandable that you're having a really difficult time. Toxic work environments are more widely recognized nowadays as causing traumatic stress  and institutions generally have some policy in place to deal with it. 

Is there anyone in the union/HR you can talk to, lodge a complaint, get some help?  If you're going thru this I would imagine your colleagues are too; together you may have a stronger voice to incite change.

Also, do you have a therapist you can talk to about this?  I can only imagine how triggered you are so being able to talk F2F with a T may help to see what is/is not happening in the current situation you're dealing with and bring your anxiety down a bit.

The union is working on what they can, one issue at a time. Itís also a contract year and the superintendent is using a lot of dirty tactics.

We did get a couple of small concessions in the area of respect yesterday, but it seems that theyíre not going to just roll over and be respectful or nice all the time.

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
it seems that theyíre not going to just roll over and be respectful or nice all the time

Glad to hear there were a few concessions a least but I hear you. Certainly you all deserve to be treated respectfully and fairly but sometimes a bit of strong arming is needed to get that. I don't have any personal experience with the situation you're in, but if you (and your colleagues) lodge a complaint w/HR and the union about a toxic workplace, it will document how it affects you and create a record of mgmt's behaviour that could be used to force change at some point.