Spartan Life Coach - CPSTD youtube + courses - any experiences?

Started by johnram, April 21, 2019, 07:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnram

hi,
I have been viewing some videos by the Spartan Life Coach on youtube, and i am often wary of self help types trying to sell stuff, but he seems genuine, has done his homework, and seems to have gone through some of the things he teaches

i was keen to know others experiences of him, and in particular if they had used his courses as i am feeling close to doing so

thanks

PS - there was this old discussion, but i wanted to ask again - https://cptsd.org/forum/index.php?topic=2001.0

Oscen

Hi johnram, it's interesting you're mentioning this; I watched a Spartan Life Coach video for the first time last week and was impressed.

I'm wary, too, of people trying to sell special methods for recovery, but he knew his stuff and the method sounded effective, so I'm inspired to try the free stuff available and will consider paying for the course based on how that goes for me, as well as costs, etc.

I watched all three videos, so it took a bit of time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXGGqp_9EiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHREvAiAnCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jZruzGrlW8

I haven't sat down and used it yet, but I was really impressed by the "repatterining the inner parent" exercises he gave in the 3rd video.
To do it, you visualise yourself as small, with a very large, almost omnipotent parent figure (male or female, yin or yang, depending on whatever you need) standing tall behind you, speaking the words that you need to hear in order to reprogram the inner critic more positively.

It just makes so much sense! That is exactly how I feel about my parents, especially mum - she is not just an adult woman in my mind, but the framework of my psyche in a terribly destructive way.
In my mind, she's this omnipotent god-like figure standing behind me, seeing everything I do, looking over my shoulder and judging me for everything.
It never occurred to me to try to take that imaginary figure and hollow it out and fill it with what I need it to be filled with.

I will let you know how I go with the exercise over the next week or so, and I'm having a look at the other video you linked to now.
I hope this is in some way useful to you!

johnram

Thank you for that reply, and your narrative is very similar to my recent experience, i shall be starting video 3 soon.  Listened to the other 2.

I find him a bit too full on, but i feel he knows the material at a depth that connects with me, and i compare it to a few lacklustre psychotherapists i have had, i think his methodology speaks more to my issues. 

Actually there is a moment in the 2nd video (i think) where he explains how people may want to lash out at former therapists, and blame them, and on the day i was listening to it, i was having the strongest urge to complain i have had in a while.  It rationalised it and connected. 

Anyway, i am being careful at the moment, what i put in my head as i went a bit CPTSD learning crazy for a few months and then was on this and another forum a couple hours a day for a bit, so have started to try and balance it with other aspects of life.  However, i do feel allured for doing his courses - but i also have signed up to things before and not finished them and i dont want to repeat past.

Really keen to see how you get on, and keen to keep chatting on this journey

all the best to you

Rainagain

Johnram,

I think it's natural to get immersed in learning about cptsd when you first encounter resources like this forum, I know I did.

I had a long list of issues I used to worry about as I never thought they were connected, then I slowly realised they were all trauma symptoms through asking questions on here.

It didn't remove the symptoms, but any understanding is better than my prior ignorance.

I am still shocked at how little I had made connections with what I was experiencing back then, i was so clueless it's almost amusing now.

johnram

I can relate to your story in that regards, really makes sense when i look at cPTSD.  I have gotten slightly confused recently on the BPD angle also, but think i am more cPTSD

how would you describe your symptoms now? if you mind me asking

Rainagain

I think my symptoms have been brought to my attention instead of being a confusing muddle.

It has stabilised them somehow, allowed me to integrate them into my life, accept them.

If I dont sleep I accept it, if the nightmares come I know where they come from, if I become enraged I know that it will subside in a day or two.

They may have gotten easier, or I may have taken away some of the energy they had in the past through better understanding.

It feels like having some control, not over the symptoms but over how I feel about them, less threatened, less panicky.

I'd say much of it has been because of this forum, so much experience amongst the group.

johnram

that is fantastic news
i know its not what you would want, but a reduction and an understanding is useful