Don’T know what to do...

Started by SadOldMan, April 25, 2019, 11:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadOldMan

Posting here to save the 'exceptionally difficult day' post. Guess I'm frustrated...frustrated, angry, totally demoralized, and by the very people I should be getting help from!

I know that it's difficult to find trauma therapy; I just started with a therapist now, been looking for two years (well, ten, but that's another story).

Don't know for sure what it's like in the rest of the country, but in my end, Community Mental Health should be called 'barbed wire fence'. Not only do they get it wrong, they make it harder to find help. After 45 years of Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety, a psych resident has just diagnosed me with dysthymia. What that means, in this context, is that they've washed their hands of me. (There, now he'll go away).

There is NO mental health care where I live, unless you can pay for it. With the taxes we pay in Canada, that's a crime. To suggest to mentally ill people that they can get help and then callously ignore them is unforgivable...

Three Roses

QuoteCommunity Mental Health should be called 'barbed wire fence'. Not only do they get it wrong, they make it harder to find help.

It's true here, too. I'm in the US. If everything doesn't fit into a neat, tidy little box, they wash their hands, say it's us purposefully being difficult or "resistant", and turn their backs. Of course they'll be happy to accept you back if you want to dance to their song! You are not alone, SadOldMan.  :hug:

SadOldMan

Thanks for the reply, Three Roses. There is some cold comfort in knowing that we're not alone.😔

Rainagain

Not sure if it helps but I had a dysthymia diagnosis redefined as major depressive disorder by a more experienced psych.

The criteria which was Important was more than 2 depressive episodes, something the first psych missed.

The first psych claimed the 2 diagnoses were 'more or less the same', not sure about that.

If all the facts aren't picked up and then cross referenced against the manuals properly you get differing diagnoses, I think.

Made no difference to me, I've had no effective treatment for anything I've been diagnosed with so have stopped asking.

Hope you can find help somehow.