Urgent: any advice please. TW Violent incident occurred

• 5 Replies

Sasha

• View Profile
Urgent: any advice please. TW Violent incident occurred
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:32:24 AM »
A violent incident occurred last night with my brother who is mentally ill violently attacking my youngest sibling and then going for me. My other brother had to hold him off with all his strength.

The family is only together for an important funeral today. I left the building with other family to avoid further trauma and returned when we had heard that my violent brother has gone. He had screamed violently for a long time before he left and I could hear him.

Just over a year ago I was caring my brother on my own (as I was often left to do this) and he became violent and I had to call emergency services and in the end he went to hospital for a brief period. It was very bad but they released him as he didnít present to them as he did to us and he is not receiving any further treatment or medication etc. I have barely seen him since as I felt very traumatised by the incident and received counselling afterwards, specifically to do with this incident.

Last nigh I went into full trigger mode - frozen brain, shaking, white face, twitching, unable to talk, eyes locked, no blinking, grinding teeth.... very extreme - for about 2 hours. I managed to come out by playing a board game that helped my amygdala relax.

Today we will be in the same environment again for the funeral. I am scared. I donít know how to approach it. I want to feel safe. I want my family to be safe. He terrifies me. Last night I could not stop seeing worse images in my minds eye. I feel fear of death around him, very strongly.

Any advice gratefully received. X

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent: any advice please. TW Violent incident occurred
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
I can only imagine how traumatized you are feeling Sasha and rightly so, the danger in this situation is very real and everyone's safety must be a top priority.

Did anyone think to involve the police? I know he's family but he was violent, it's against the law for a reason. It's dangerous and people can and do lose their lives in this kind of situation.   

Three Roses

• CPTSD is an injury, not an illness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 03:32:30 PM »
Oh Sasha, I'm so very sorry this happened! I would be very apprehensive, too. I can't give you advice but I can say what I would feel or do - I would feel just like you are feeling! I would want to avoid him but as it's an important funeral, you may want to be there for support of other family members.

I might contact the funeral home to ask if they have security personnel that could be there. I might ask a (large) friend to come with me. I might sit between like-minded family members. I'll try to think of other things but want to post this right away in case you're watching for replies.  :hug:

Three Roses

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 03:40:15 PM »
I'm sorry you didn't get timely replies - I can see it's been about seven hours between your initial post and our replies.  :'( sorry. It's morning here and I'm just waking up.

I'm interested to hear any updates. I agree with Kizzie, everyone safety is paramount, and police should be informed. We care about you.  :hug:

Three Roses

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
If you're up to posting an update to this, I'm just letting you know I've been thinking of you, Sasha, and wondering how things went.  :hug:

Kizzie

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Just checking in too Sasha - are you OK?