New to this forum

Started by Unfurling, May 02, 2019, 08:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unfurling

Dear all,

I suffer from CPTSD after growing up in a family where my mother and father were both alcoholics. So both my other living adult relatives, a grandmother and an uncle. Even though they were all high functioning alcoholics who kept their jobs and kept up appearances -- at least while I was a kid -- I felt very unsafe growing up. It didn't help that both my parents were drinking to self medicate their mental health issues. There is more my story: I was bullied at school, and when I did find friends as a teenager, they were not the best of friends and I spent a lot of weekends drunk out of my mind around people who didn't have my best interests at heart.

That is a long time ago now. I will turn 50 this summer. Yet I work every day to help me feel safe and whole. I have been in therapy for 15 years, and thanks to that I am able to keep my job in spite of periods with a crush of symptoms. After my father passed away 6 years ago and my mother 3 years ago, a lot of old stuff was reactualized, and I feel so vulnerable.

That is a short summary of the sad part. The good part is that I have a wonderful husband, a good job, financial security and a handful of trusted friends. And now I have found you! I lm looking forward to learning from you and to hang out in a group where what I am coping with is not un-normal.

Hope67

Hi Unfurling,
Welcome - I'm glad you've found this forum - I hope it will be a supportive place for you. 
Hope  :)

Unfurling

Thank you, Hope!
I wonder if you (or someone else) can tell me where to go on this forum to learn about what kinds of treatments people have tried and what they feel they have gained through them (or not).

Kizzie

Hi and a warm welcome to OOTS Unfurling  :heythere:   So sorry  for all you went through and are still struggling with in the present, but glad you have support in therapy, family and friends and now more that you have made your way here. 

Members talk about treatments all over the board but mainly in the forums under "Treatment, Self-Help & Recovery."  There are also lots of books here, some general info here, and some helpful forms/info sheets for download here.

:grouphug:

Patticake

;) Hi Unfurling  :wave:

So glad to see you here. Sorry about your past experiences that hurt you so. Many of us on this forum can relate & travel with you on your healing journey. Thank you for having the courage to post here. We welcome you!

;)

Not Alone

Quote from: Unfurling on May 02, 2019, 08:38:38 AM
I lm looking forward to learning from you and to hang out in a group where what I am coping with is not un-normal.
Welcome. I have found this to be a place where others understand the daily difficulties as well as the really tough times.

Three Roses

Welcome! I love your profile pic. We are each so different, like flowers, and also so alike. Thanks for joining.  :wave: