Panic attack after EMDR?

Started by SadOldMan, May 03, 2019, 04:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadOldMan

Even though my therapist was careful to bring me back to my comfort zone before I left this morning , (first session) I'Ave been feeling very anxious since. Is this normal?

Patticake

Hi SOM,

I had EMDR treatments (10 total) & felt anxious & disconnected after each one. My T kept me in her office until I was grounded and calm enough to drive
home.
Driving home, I felt distracted and 'not like myself'. I didn't have a full blown panic attack, although I can understand why someone would. With EMDR, you are usually revisiting some horrific, abusive experiences. Some people get re-traumatized, and that can bring strong emotions of anxiety. I remember squirming in my seat & my face tightening during EMDR treatments.

If the treatments bring on panic attacks afterward, your T should definitely know about that. Slowing down the treatments or stopping them altogether might be necessary for now. I am sorry you had this experience.

Be gentle with yourself. You are in my thoughts & prayers as you navigate your healing journey. We are here for you. :hug:

SadOldMan

Thank you, Patticake.🙏🏼